1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How much salt for a big black bear or grizzly?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Rackmastr, May 1, 2013.

1. Hey All,

I'm headed north to hunt grizz and blackies and am unsure how much salt I should bring. Just curious approx what everyone uses on a bear in the 7' range or so.

This will be a truck-based hunt so weight isnt a concern, and obviously will be trying to bring MORE than enough so we have lots. Just curious what everyone would use on one big bear of that size?

Thanks!

2. Wild Images

Wild Images New Member

Hey Trev
    On our last flyin we had a griz draw and sheep and caribou tags. I always take in a 5 gallon pail of fine salt and never run short.
    Take two and you will have camp stools as well !

Good Luck
    Ken

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I use 3-4 pounds on a bear, but Kens suggestion is great. The bucket would keep the salt dry and protect surfaces from corrosion. When you leave, dump it to make an instant salt lick.

4. I like that idea of a 5 gallon pail!!

We have 3 grizz tags and a few black bear tags. Obviously not high odds of killing 3 grizz in camp, but we'll knock over a couple big black bears for sure between the three of us.

Thanks for the suggestion on the pail. I wasnt sure how much it would take for a big bear or two but better to have too much than too little!

5. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

I just mailed a 50 pound bag to dillingham, ak via cargo air for my fly out brown bear hunt in a couple weeks. I hope to shoot 2 in the 9 foot range..50 pounds is enough for 2 big bears, and 2 saltings each..