1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

STAIN

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by skulley, May 3, 2013.

1. This is just for information purposes.

one of my projects was bull elk euro, nothing out the ordinary..............except, it had scraped all the velvet off in a burned area. The antlers were very rough and filled with blackened pine. client wanted it preserved so i said ok. well, didnt take long for moisture to loosen things up and overnight the skull was damaged. i had taken plastic, wrapped tight around and under the burrs and tied off but it obviously did not work. i have used everything at my disposal to remove the stains. although they are milder now, its not acceptable. there is nothing left to do..........any more soaking and whatnot will only make the skull degrade further. so, client is coming to see it, i have never painted a skull before but this may be the only choice if he wants it white. for the future, i will hose all the wood and bark and dirt off as usual. go figure........hope this helps someone.

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

What stained the skull? The burned material on the antlers? What did you soak the skull in that damaged it? Let the customer see the skull the way it is currently. If the material on the antlers is what stained it, tell him the truth. The client wanted the debris left on. If you do end up coloring it, try the Dollar Store white paint and use it lightly.

3. the stain came from the the burnt debris on the antlers. skull is just starting to show signs of damage.......a bit of flaking. just too much time degreasing, peroxide, acetone, etc etc. looks fine from a distance but it is not up to standards. Customer already knows the story, just letting him look and decide what he wants to do from here. no charge for this job and luckily it was a smaller bull.

4. Knucklehead

Knucklehead New Member

I did a big mule Deer this year that came from an area that burned up last year the antlers were nearly black like the night with patches of grey hear and there. I took pictures of it before I skinned it, and put it in with the bugs. After the bugs finished, I took it out and scrubbed all the debris and charcoal out of all the burrs. Cleaned it, degreased it, and it took me two days to refinish them antlers with oils, and charcoal from the burn pile in the back yard. Customer didn't even know the difference. Guess I got lucky. I feel for ya. I had a thermostat go out on me this year causing the heating element to max out for two days, had four skulls in the tank that were torched. Trials and tribulations. Its the worst feeling telling a customer that you burned up his trophy.

5. oh yeah, just love burning something up. the stain is now a mild tan, better than most of the locals work around here, but that doesn't make it any better. will see what the owner wants to do. i would suggest paint or...........a leaf stain.

leaf stain, i need pics of this.......you can lay deciduous leaves on the skull completely covering it, then apply a stain wash. it comes out really neat. if he goes with it i will post yall some pics

6. BWebbs31

BWebbs31 Classic Skull Mounts, LLC

Yeah, please do if you go that route. That sounds pretty awesome. Best of luck though skulley!

7. Knucklehead

Knucklehead New Member

Here's another option for ya.

Attached Files:

8. yep, i have access to a couple of film dippers.