1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

looking for some critique on a whitetail shoulder mount. Please!!!!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by lance casselman, May 5, 2013.

1. Mounted up this buck yesterday using a gene smith form.

Attached Files:

2. Re: looking for some critique on a whitetail shoulder mount

I've been mounting deer for 8 years now for a local taxidermist and he always went behind me and tweaked everything I had done so this is my first done for myself completely alone. just wanted to see what you guys thought of this buck. This was my first time using earliners and rotating the eyes. By the way this is only my second post on here so far and gotta say thanks to everyone who pit up the great tips on the site!

Attached Files:

3. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Re: looking for some critique on a whitetail shoulder mount

Ears are a bit low and layed down also. Bring the but up a little and rotate the ear upwards. Butt shape is slightly off too worst on the deers right ear but plenty good for a commercial piece.

Back corner of the eye is a little low. Also stack the skin into the front corner of the eye a little more. on top and bottom. Pull those pins so it doesn't dry with big holes. You should be able to stack that skin (see just above that big wisker and also right above our top pin how the contour of the skin with no hair strays away from the continueing curve of it around the eye and dips down on the bottom and goes out and up on the top) towards the crease and front of the eye more to give you a little releif so you don't need those pins.

Eye rotation it tough to see with the angles but appears to lack as much roation in the left eye as the right as the right is rotated pretty far but the left doesn't show white in the back but again hard to tell and say for sure without seeing more angles on the eyes.

Also the lip line on the back edge appears to continue into the jaw muscle lines without any definition of the back edge of the mouth.

Bring those ears up and rotate and you should have a very happy customer. Good mount.

4. Thank you very much he is still good and soft so ill make a few adjustments to him in the morning. I certainly do appreciate the input. Just what I needed.

5. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    Kyle, thank you for that exelent critique. it helps more than just the person who posted

6. Badgerland

Badgerland Quality taxidermy & quality deer capes.

for some reason the brisket doesn't look correct. I don't see much for color definition between the armpit & brisket center. Over-all its a decent mount though.