1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

hippo skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by derhntr, May 8, 2013.

1. derhntr

derhntr Member

I have read though the archives, but was looking for some advice on how to handle degreasing a hippo skull. The skull comes from a 6000lbs hippo, so my customer says, and will be the largest skull to date I have done. My shop is small so space is limited. I have two tubs big enough to hold the top and bottom including tusks and teeth. I have been using coleman fuel for my degreasing with good result but I need about 12 to 15 gallons, at $20 per gallon that will get expensive. Thinking about using gas on this one, at $3.20 where I live it's much cheaper.

As I said I have read though the archives, all the ins and outs of coleman, gas, acetone etc. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Thanks, drhntr

2. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Gas works good, leaves a strong smell that needs to be degreased out with dawn and water though. I think your going to need more than 15 gallons though. A big steer for me takes 5+ gallons of water. I would think your best bet would be the old stand by, and drill out the deeper greasier pockets of bone to get the grease out....but I have never done one.

3. derhntr

derhntr Member

Thanks to, The Dog, for offering some advise
    Never thought about drilling holes, might give that a try