1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

my 3rd wt critique plz.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mark73, May 8, 2013.

1. mark73

mark73 New Member

My 3rd ever mount. Wish I would have picked a diff. Style of form. I no the ears are not perfect. His left was heavily damaged.missing part of it and the black patch growed back on the inside like that.I am plzd but no I can do better with practice. I probably should've brought ears forward.

Attached Files:

2. mark73

mark73 New Member

Pic

Attached Files:

3. mark73

mark73 New Member

Pic

Attached Files:

4. mark73

mark73 New Member

Pic

Attached Files:

5. mark73

mark73 New Member

Pic

6. mark73

mark73 New Member

Pic

Attached Files:

7. mark73

mark73 New Member

Pic

Attached Files:

8. mark73

mark73 New Member

Pic

Attached Files:

9. Badgerland

Badgerland Quality taxidermy & quality deer capes.

First let me say, "I'm sure most costumers would be happy with this mount." You did a nice job. The nose texture looks pretty good too. I like your soft eye colors, nice blending there.

I do notice a couple things with room for improvement though.
    1. The shape of the eyes is a little too round. They should look a little more like a slightly slanted oval shape. Also, pay attention to symmetry so both eyes look the same.
    2. The tear ducts are a little too open. The top hair can/should almost lay over the duct making it appear closed.
    3. Antlers appear to be set a little too high or far back, this may be affecting your eyes.
    4. The nostrils seem a bit too flared or open. Its a little hard to tell if its the shape of the form or if you removed too much material from the nostril inside.
    5. The color of the nose pad looks a little dark for my taste. It may be the camera or the sunlight making it look dark. I can tell you tried to layer/blend your nose color, keep practicing that your headed in the right direction.

10. mark73

mark73 New Member

Thanks a lot, I no he not perfect and I see what you saying on the eyes. I had them about right and opened them more.I new when they dried they were off... The nose is a epply nose and its my fault.I didn't check it after I installed. If I would've had a ear for the left I would have changed it. I'm kinda let down a little. Fill like my form choice didn't do him justice

11. mark73

mark73 New Member

The eyes I used oil paint. I seem to feel more comfortable using that method

12. This may not help you at all, as far as advice goes... but I hope my third deer looks like that!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks great! 2 thumbs up!

13. mark73

mark73 New Member

Thanks 126...

14. mark73

mark73 New Member

Right eye

Attached Files:

15. JoshK

JoshK Member

I'd say for your 3rd deer...that aint to shabby. ;D

16. mark73

mark73 New Member

Thanks, just gotta get better.

17. RTF

RTF Active Member

Sweet looking mount for your third.

18. Not bad at all!

19. coondoggie

coondoggie Member

i agree 100 % with Badgerland. Make sure that you have the hide thinned down around the eyes and have the eyelids split. Wildlife1 had a great tip using a dremmel sander to thin the face details. Much easier than scissors or a skiff knife. Keep up the nice work !

20. I just used a dremel sander to thin around the Y cut for the first time. It's pretty easy and seems to be effective.