1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What's Wrong With This Picture?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by DL, May 9, 2013.

1. DL

DL Well-Known Member

That's messed up.
    [​IMG]

2. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

quack! quack! Gobble! Gobble!!!!!

3. tom k

tom k New Member

Global warming, the earth is flooding.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Nothing, just helping the taxidermist that mounts it. ;) Less time needed to wash the dirt out. Very interesting.

5. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

It's true - turkeys can swim.
    They don't seem to like it very much but if they fall into the water they just start paddling. Guinea fowl will do the same thing.
    Chickens, on the other hand, completely freak out, start flailing, get waterlogged very quickly, and either drown or die of hypothermia if they aren't rescued immediately.

6. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

many years ago my brother and cousin were fishing on a large northern minn lake when they spotted what they thought was a drake mallard flopping around in the middle of the lake...a scoop with the landing net found a rooster pheasant....this was a hundred miles out of pheasant range and way out in the lake...turns out some local landowners were raising and releasing them and this one tried to fly over the lake.....apparently got tired and dropped in to swim the resty of the way...

7. Lizardfeathers

Lizardfeathers Thank you for teaching me through your works...

Behold... The rare and elusive Waterbuzzard ;D.

Population: 12,028

Natural range: California, Texas, Alaska, and the cackling subspecies in pockets on the southern tip of Tazmania.

Natural habits: Largest of it's species, the Waterbuzzard is known for it's call which is a loud broken screech that can stun it's prey and fend off predators. Unmistakable, but can be distinguished by it's featherless head/neck, brown body feathers, and it's pungent musky odor. It is a highly aggressive bird and will attack anything that moves within the mating pairs territory.

Diet: Can be observed coming out of the water to feed on squirrel, opossum, raccoon, Ect. Very opportunistic omnivore that will feed on water plants as well as kill frogs, fish, and other waterfowl (which it will leave in the sun to lightly rot before feeding).

Reproductive habits: Mating display is short but extravagant. The male takes a piece of rotting meat and flings it in the air to attract a female. Then he will strut while screeching and bobbing his head. Nests are large and decorated with feathers, pebbles, and bones. The chicks (known as squabbles) are fast growers and will fledge at three months old.

Captive care: Unknown/ Unwise

Warnings: WARNING!!! EXTREMELY AGGRESSIVE!!! CAN CAUSE SEVERE INJURY AND WILL SCARE SMALL CHILDERN AND DOGS.

I've heard that mallard drakes will mate with every duck it can find, but I didn't expect turkey buzzards to walk around ponds. ;D ;D :eek:

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Is that bird related to turduckins?

9. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Nancy, Ellie May had a chicken that swam in the cement pond on the Beverly Hillbillies.

10. Good one, DL. That is crazy!

11. Nancy C

I remember seeing that, DL, but I'm not sure how it was accomplished.
    I suppose that a chicken could be taught to swim (or, mostly, just be de-sensitized so that it wouldn't panic) but I also suspect that a partially sedated chicken might be a more willing candidate.
    Chickens aren't very bright but they are capable of learning, so who knows? Those Hollywood animal trainers have done some amazing things.
    I don't believe that swimming comes naturally to them, though.

12. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Hmm gotcha. Just aged ya.

13. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

we used to throw my uncles ,nieghbors "wild" chicken off the dock into the water over and over to watch it swim in...and watch the fish chase him......he was a pretty good swimmer

14. Just found this on Tumblr.

[​IMG]

15. Nancy C

LOL - Okay, I give up! Chickens can swim too, or at least some of them can.

Apparently all of my chickens are hydrophobic! ??

16. Lizardfeathers

Lizardfeathers Thank you for teaching me through your works...

Maybe they have gotten into your cinnamon and taken a dust bath! ;D. Or they weren't exposed to deep open water as young birds. I don't have chickens, so I wouldn't know.

17. kevin scott

kevin scott New Member

A birds gotta do what a birds got ta do !

18. May have to mount a swimming turkey for competition.......Just for fun! ;D (I Better save a copy of your pic first!)