1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

redfish help

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by ericd, May 11, 2013.

1. I have a redfish that was mounted back in the 70's that i would like to refinish. well the mouth is open like it was a large mouth bass and angled up from the body. Can I rehydrate the head it being so old or can it be removed carefully and a new cast head installed and epoxy sculpt to repair the joint or is this fish just a lost cause.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Eric

2. If you want to fix the head you will have to remove it first anyhow. Take all the measurements you will need for a reproduction head to be safe. Soak it in a bucket of water with a bactericide in it and see if it will soften up. With it being so old it might take a while but should work. If it falls apart or will not soften, you still have the measurements for the repro head. If the head has a thick lacquer gloss on it you will need to remove that first so it can start to rehydrate. With something like that, you will need to experiment but be sure you take measurements to eliminate a total failure of not having measurements for a new head.

3. Be sure to add a lot of Dawn soap to the soak. the surfactant will help the water penetrate the head.

4. Awesome guys thanks so much for the information. I will try it out. I found a repo head just in case it is a complete failure on fixing the real one
    Eric