1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

BOTW #17

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by JBird, May 13, 2013.

1. JBird

JBird Member

Good morning and welcome to another week - I hope everyone had a great weekend and that you ALL called your mothers to tell them how amazing they are -

With that said - lets make it another great week - last week was great with a ton of wonderful submittals -

Before we get started I wanted to say something about last weeks late posts - IGOR I was really hoping you'd have something to share - its no secret I think of you as a bird taxidermy JEDI and just love your work - beautiful redtail - a collecting trip? what are you collecting?

Here are some more old pieces from "The vaults" not quite as old as the others - I promise I will have some new exciting pics to submit soon - meantime thanks for going down memory lane with me :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tom M.

Tom M. Member

Thanks for hosting JBird. A few for the week.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Jason R

Jason R Ph# 325-282-2527

Great start!!!

4. babak

babak Active Member

Hello,great start Jeff and thank you for good hosting!
    Tom,I LOVE THOSE MOUNTS !!!

i don't have any new mount for now,but here is a nice mount from Rachel "aka dogsoldierchick" ,her comment for the photo is this "This is my first duck... Thanks. Rachel"
    cool mount Rachel,keep good job!

[​IMG]

5. Thanks so much for posting my wood duck for me! Yes it's my first duck. Not sure it belongs I such exquisite company but im proud of it. Critiques are appreciated. Thanks.

6. muleyhunter

muleyhunter Soulmates, Gods way of saying together forever

Jeff it has been a long time. The wife and I will have to come back down so she can trip and fall into your electric fence again :) :) ;) I'm going to be in trouble for that one. that crane you had was the coolest what a character .... I can't thank you enough for all the kind words. Anything you have in your freezer would be cool coming from you :D :D :D :D. I always enjoy looking at your pictures you never know coming from you what type of bird you get to do. Can't wait to see the next ones...

7. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

Hi folks,
    fantastic mounts for the beginning of this week.
    Jeff my friend, really good job on your mounts of course and hosting BOTW for us.
    I did not want your weeks let go without posting anything, so I had to hurry the last days to finish some birds to share with you.
    First, I will offer you a wood pigeon, awful bird to mount, because they loose the feathers when only blowing at them
    Second, I did a jay watching at a bug climbing up the tree and
    Third, a very special and unic bird for me, I got only one in 38 yearts of taxidermy, a hartlaubs duck from Kongo.
    Hope you like them, come on posting more pictures to share with us, from Germany,

Rainer.

Attached Files:

8. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

the jay

Attached Files:

• jaya.jpg
      jaya.jpg
      File size:
      118 KB
      Views:
  9. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

the jay again

Attached Files:

10. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

and the hartlaubs duck

Attached Files:

11. babak

babak Active Member

wow,Rainer,all of your mounts are really beautiful this week!!

12. igor

igor Member

Rai, beautiful job. Love em.
    Jeff, I am leaving to Africa to collect birds for a museum after tomorrow. Will post some pictures when back. And maybe I need to contact you about your frizzier :) . I might need to get some African cranes .

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

13. JBird

JBird Member

HOLY SMOKES FOLKS !! unbeleivable - where do I begin ...

Tom - Love your ringneck and canvasback - but I'm looking at the ringneck base and thinking how cool it is - is that a pedistal base used as a wall mount? Love the shape - gives it a great look (having a beautifully mounted bird on it certainly helps ;)

you know I've never been much of a dead mount fan - but it seems like in the last few years you guys have really been bringing them to the next level and then some with the creative bases work and backgrounds on them - that and the combination of birds - its really hard to change my mind on things but I have to say I'm being won over by the dead mounts I've been seeing lately - including yours - they are really beautiful - showing off both taxidermy skill, craftmenship, and artistic interpretation - GORGEOUS

Rachel - Your bird just simply floored me - for a first bird you KNOCKED IT OUT OF THE PARK !!! Seriously - I have seen many taxidermists who've been at it for years who don't do much better - you clearly have a great feel for a birds anatomy (and grooming - holy cow) You should be very very proud of yourself - as are all of us - thank you so much for sharing and I really look forward to seeing more of your work and progress -

Rai Red - oh my - that wood pigeon is EXQUISITE - it almost looks airbrushed its so smooth and seemless - yes, pigeons and doves can be a taxidermy nighmare - but what a stunning bird - I want one ;o) they remind me of our band tailed pigeons although I think they may be larger

Your jay is simply stunning - the action/attitude and flow - a real piece of art. Jays are among my favorite of the bird families - I found myself staring at the piece and really taking in everything about it - such an exciting mount - it may be my favorite piece I've seen you post

Fantastic find on your harlaubs - and equally nice job on the mount - very unique species that you don't often see - I know the excitment at finding something special like that and even more when you can do such a fine job putting it together - thank you VERY much for your inspiring contribution this week -

I had to laugh because i've also been scrambling to get some birds together that are much more current to post on my own hosting but alas - they will have to wait :-[ which is just fine with me because I'm having so much fun enjoying all the photo's that everyone is posting - as always its wonderful to see a familiar artist post their work but I think I may enjoy seeing a new poster join in the fun (thanks again Rachel)

Keep em comin - its an unusually hard week for me (work and schedule) so do it as a personal favor as viewing and replying to this thread has been my personal "therapy" for an otherwise dismal week -

Jeff

14. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

Nothing finished for me yet. Great work everyone!!
    Jeff I want a Palawan Peacock Pheasant but would have to build a new structure to keep them in WI.
    Love the Grey though!!

15. FF/Birdman

FF/Birdman Well-Known Member

Hello everyone. Jeff, you are doing a great job of hosting. Keep up the great work and love your mounts. I never know what to expect ever time you post. Such unusal birds and exotics. I will post this little greenwing teal. Here is to another great week ahead, Paul.

[​IMG]

16. JBird

JBird Member

ooooooooh Paul - I LIKE !! Little "bling bling" on the wing (referencing the stunning green speculum) love that you got it slightly out and showing on high beams - I think greenwing teal are my second favorite teal (from a baikal) I love their size, their color, their call - their taste (delicious little buggars) when i see a standing duck mount I always "squint" and look at the sillouette - the bird should be shaped like a nice boat - slightly pointy on the front and back and a nice round smooth belly - look at the shape of your teal - its perfect. The A-semetrical wings really perfect it I think.....

SOOOO - in an unforseen turn of events - I managed to get home and discover that I had forgotten to take something out of the freezer the night before - which meant I had inadvertantly given myself the night off WOO HOO - so I decided to really quickly throw some bases under some recent mounts - pull off some tape (temporarily - they're still wet) and take some pics so I had something current to share - still couldn't put the ocy on a base I just injected its feet - nothing's been painted and no finish work - but I'm hoping no one will hold that against me ;o)

The Silvery cheeked hornbill is HUGE and such a joy to work with - its probably the size of a really REALLY huge red tailed hawk or bigger - very cool bird. The ocy is a captive raised bird that - however it died - it definately starved at the end of its life so it was super thin and had ZERO fat - again - another joy not to be wiping turkey fat off my glasses all night from the wire wheel and just look at those spurs - WOOOWEEE - the pallawans were a real struggle for me - those stupid mantle and scapular feathers just simply have no rhyme or reason to them - even on most the reference photos its just a jumble of BLUE - no matter what I did I couldn't get them to lay in any sort of pattern and its driving me nuts - oh well - good practice I guess -

BTW - the ocy head is another Tony Finazzo head - thanks tony for all the great work

Ok Lady's and Gents - lets see some more

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. JBIRD Thank you so much for your kind words!! I cried when I read it and I'm not normally emotional. I think I was holding my breath for critiques. I put my heart into everything I do and I have never found anything that fit me like taxidermy does. I have a strong drive to make them look natural and not like statues. Though the pose seem to suit him and still have a natural look. I am so jealous of the birds you have. I hope to go get an Ocellated with my bow one day! I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge but the ones above it are also exquisite!

I love the Jay with the bug, so natural and beautiful! Amazing work!

As for my woody I spent a couple days on it from start to on the form and grooming. I had mounted a bobcat before it and a couple squirrels so it is my 4th mount. I really loved doing it. Wasn't sure Id like birds but it turns out I really enjoyed it! I used the real head. I think I stayed up with it till 2 am grooming and positioning and didn't sleep good for fear it would dry wrong. LOL I guess ya'll know how that is. I have always loved nature and took art in college. I am an avid hunter though Ive never duck hunted I grew up with them around my pond. A few things I see I would like to learn about myself are injecting feet, paint schedules, (Im almost afraid to paint it.) Anyway I will post pics of it finished in a seperate thread. I should paint it tomorrow.

You guys are such an inspiration to me!! What a beautiful array of birds! I am so interested in exotic birds! I hope to do a sparrow hawk for a school next. Im going through the paperwork now. Sadly I don't have any other ducks right now. I am starting turkeys. WOW what a hand full! LOL. Going from that woodie to turkey wings in my face tails in my way whew. They are a handful. Then I guess it will be back to mammals. I have a Lynx and fox to do.

I take critiques well as I will always be learning.

How in the world do ya'll get so many birds done in a week. Comes with experience I assume. Thank you again JBird for the welcome and I hope to be here awhile.

18. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

thanks for the kind words everyone, if I will find the time, I am going to add an other jay on the ground to make this scene complete
    Paul, your teal looks great, I love greenwings and I am saving all my hunted in the freezer, because I dont only like to eat them but I dont know how to do them all ( about 30 )
    Jeff, it is wonderful, that you find the time to give such a great statement for our posts and you take your time to do such a great job while hosting and - dont tell me anything about smoothness, your birds look allways clean and smooth and I love all of them,

Rainer

19. JBird

JBird Member

I hope everyone knows its my great pleasure and privelege to host and comment on all the beautiful work that is shared on here -

Rachel - if you come to a point where you'd like more ducks - send me a PM I will gladly gift you some birds - I have some things that I think would really be exciting for my new favorite "up and comer"

I am leaving tomorrow to give a presentation to a group in Montana about Cranes - so my only access will be via iphone so please be pacient with me - rest assured however I will be checking this thread regularly -

HAPPY WEDNESDAY -

Jeff

20. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

Rachel

here is some free software you (and others) can download
    you can open your photos (ie jpeg files) and re-save to a smaller size

if you can't figure it out or have issues, please PM and I will put together a short tutorial
    Dan

http://www.gimp.org/