1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Learning Taxidermy and Looking for Specimens

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by NiloR70, May 15, 2013.

1. NiloR70

NiloR70 New Member

I'm just learning taxidermy and looking for whole or green specimens (Squirrel, Raccoon, Fox, Bobcat, Coyote etc...) I understand that it would be hard (expensive) to ship some specimens whole. So green specimens would work just fine. These specimens will be my first attempts at taxidermy and I would like to learn the entire process. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Russ

2. I have Deer capes with skulls/antlers still in them,. Frozen and Unskinned. They are $45 plus shipping.

3. spicywolf

spicywolf New Member

I have a tanned bastard fox for $60

4. Are you interested in salted/dried skins like opossum or gray or red squirrel? I could sell those but would need a little bit of time for prep work, as they are frozen whole now. They'd be dry salted and ready to be rehydrated and pickled/tanned/etc. Assuming they can be sent to your state.

5. pick up some roadkill

6. Miranda Bergerson

Miranda Bergerson New Member

If i could hit a "like button" i would have done so to the road kill. Anyways i got some green raccoons, groundhog, deer feet (great starter project) and some other stuff if i look hard nought. Text me to i could help you with some of your taxidermy ventures. Of course this site is awesome but sometimes people get hard on beginners that ask questions before doing research on the topic first. Sometimes asking.is.easier when the.problem or.question needs.answering in real time. Anyways the.number is.1-218-851-3569

7. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

ck out my ads on the for sale forum. just type in my name in the search box at the top of the FOR SALE FORUM ONLY. I have skinned raw frozen coyotes, skunks, badgers and porcupines.

8. Just watch out with collecting roadkill locally; some states have specific seasons in which only licensed hunters can collect it. Not sure about your state, but they are out there.

9. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

NiloR70, here's some information that you should know before buying or even offering to buy anything........ Is it LEGAL to do so in your state? When buying or selling anything you should ALWAYS state your location. This makes it a lot easier to give you informed answers to your questions.

I just noticed that your email address is a government address. You should have access to state game and fish LE where you can get the answers to legality questions.

10. NiloR70

NiloR70 New Member

I appreciate everyone's posts and help. I have a call into the DOW here in CO and they are going to get me the regs, so I don't violate any laws.
    Thanks Again Everyone
    Russ

11. NiloR70

NiloR70 New Member

The only reg that I could find dealing with out-of-state transfer was 1301 Possession
    1301 - POSSESSION A. No person shall, at any time, have in possession or under control any wildlife caught, taken or killed outside of this state which were caught, taken or killed at a time, in a manner, or for a purpose, or in any other respect which is prohibited by the laws of the state, territory or country in which the same were caught, taken or killed; or which were shipped out of said state, territory or country in violation of the laws thereof. So, I believe as long as the animal was taken by legal means in said state, then it should be legal for me to possess. If I'm interpreting this wrong someone please let me know.

12. bob wendt

imo you are interpreting correct. fwiw, anything I sell you get a receipt and paper trail showing legally taken, with my lisc #. that seems so simple yet I bet only 2-3-4 sellers do that, on this whole site, or so I`ve been told.

13. WildlifeLady

WildlifeLady Member

Ohio
    denvergov.org? Email scares me. Looks like someone is fishing for illegal sales. Don't bite!

14. bob wendt

it`s only an illegal sale if the items are taken or sold illegally. the perception that no trappers/buyers liscense is needed, or sales during the closed season are cool without documentation the items were legally taken is something that amazingly many folks seem to not grasp. beats me what goes thru some folks minds. most states and most animals have seasons and can not be held or sold year `round without documentation.

15. NiloR70

NiloR70 New Member

WildlifeLady that is my work email. I do work in law enforcement and unfortunately like most of you I work long hours. So its easier for me to answer emails at work then at home. Also don't you think if I was fishing for illegal sales I would try to use a better cover. Also if your not doing anything wrong, then you shouldn't worry about someone fishing. I'm just a new guy trying to learn a new hobby. I'm not trying to set anyone up, just looking for a little help.
    Thanks
    Russ

16. WildlifeLady

WildlifeLady Member

Ohio
    My suggestion is that u contact some of your local taxidermists first. They prob have lots of stuff in their freezers to get rid of. This will save u time and money to start. You should get some videos to watch and see if it something u really want to do before investing in expensive specimens. Order supply catalogs, peruse the forums here, attend a taxidermy convention...don't just jump in expecting to make a fortune. It's a tough business that takes lots of dedication and artistic ability. Practice makes perfect...some day...

17. Local taxidermists is a great idea. I did that when I was starting out, and even got to watch the guy I was getting things from as he turned ears/split lips on a wt cape. That bit of in-person instruction was worth a lot to me and really was key in my figuring out how to do those things.