1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Charlie & Lola Haynes family letter sent to the NTABOD's

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by michael p., May 16, 2013.

1. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Most know, some do not. Mr. Charlie & Mrs. Lola Haynes had a dream for Taxidermist. They WERE the cornerstone & originators of what is today known as the 'National Taxidermist Association'. This is your founding mother and her family of Taxidermy associations in general speaking...... there words speak volumes!

May 15, 2013
    National Taxidermist Association
    Board of Directors

Hello Board Members,

This is a most difficult letter to write. I hardly even know where or how to begin. So I guess I’ll begin by introducing us.

This is the Charlie and Lola Haynes Family from Poplar Bluff, MO. Some of you will remember us, some of you will never have heard of us. But we have a very definite vested interest in the past, present, and future of the National Taxidermist Association. I’m Ruthie Haynes Carter, daughter of Lola and Charlie, and am the one behind her keyboard. Miss Lola is 90 this year and bedfast. She is unable to do anything; walk, sit up, even turn over in bed by herself. She must have everything done for her. BUT…her mind is still with her and she is having some VERY BAD days lately. She is directing me to write this letter to you all. We have tried to stay mostly neutral in our online postings, thinking that there was quite a bit of misunderstanding between Headquarters and membership. We could not ever have imagined that Miss Cindy would be associated with such actions as has seemingly been going on. We love her immensely and find it shocking that she would be involved with doing some of the things that have been brought up. But more and more, Headquarters does not seem to want to clear up the misunderstandings, but only to drop a portcullis or raise the drawbridge between them and the membership. So Mom says it is time to say CLEAN UP THE MESS. CLEAN HOUSE.

Miss Lola is in such a dither with all this mess in the NTA that it is affecting her health even more than her current physical condition. She is most insistent that this mess be cleared up in whatever way possible. She is also quite adamant that NO ONE ever be banned from NTA or refused membership, especially for such idiotic reasons or lies as was given for Fred, Harry, Tim, Gregg Ielfield Family, and Michael Schlabach. People asking questions IS NO REASON FOR BANNING. It is petty, ludicrous, nonprofessional, and contemptible.

In fact most of the apparent behavior from Headquarters recently has been loathsome and downright shameful. We don’t know why on earth Headquarters is being so recalcitrant with records. It makes everyone suspicious. If NTA records are so honest and above board, why on earth wouldn’t they be presented just to clear up any misunderstanding? That would only make sense. That report that Fred and Harry were to have given years ago should have been presented. That would have perhaps cleared the air then and possibly none of this odious aura would have made its unwanted appearance. Only a crook would try to hide records. An honorable person would open those books. The membership’s suspicion regarding closed and secret books is very reasonable. Trying to bring light into dark corners is NOT a reason for banishment.

I can give you some very good reasons for banishment (or firing) though. Having the police or security summoned to a national convention with a trumped up story about someone being dangerous and going to kill people is reason for banishment. This should be considered criminal behavior, maybe even mentally unstable behavior. We know this accusation was fabricated because the person responsible for this action sent his wife and elderly mother-in-law to a meeting where these same dangerous persons were just this past week. Destroying reputations right and left might possibly be banishment behavior also. Canceling your Presidents NTA credit card when he is in mid-flight to represent the NTA at an international show is another reason for firing/banishment. But the all-time prize for a stupid and brainless act goes to the action this week at the WTC when the E.D. refused to show and “arranged” to embarrass the President so publicly. I wouldn’t blame Larry and Kathy if they never again allowed the NTA to have a booth at their show. This action was lower than the creatures that eat pond scum. We do not see how these four actions can be misunderstandings or be misinterpreted. There is something dreadfully wrong here and it is long past time for you, our Board, to get to the bottom of this mess. If it takes relieving Greg Crain of his duties as Executive Director and having any and all accounts frozen until a complete investigation can be made, then you should do that…TODAY.

There are also a few really stupid actions happening that are not directly considered NTA, but I think that our Ethics Chairman posting something to an apparent female along the line of “…that many former virgins can attest to…” in an online forum is probably quite gauche and should not have been said. Had this come from just a person, it would not have been so bad, but for the Ethics Chairman of the NTA to post this is just not right. We feel he should be reprimanded for this. Perhaps he was and that’s why he resigned his position. Question – if he resigned his position as Ethics Chairman, is he still a Board Member?

Other actions have a direct bearing on NTA and its reputation. Saying that legal documents should not be “leaked” or given to Board Members is one such. The BOD should have access to everything. Nothing should be so secret other than social security numbers, or private phone numbers and addresses. Other actions are those such as the E.D. continuously referring to some persons as “disgraced former members” and insinuating that only “close, personal friends of the President” are interested in what is going on in the NTA, or belittling his treasurer and saying she isn’t worth the same wage as his former male treasurer was worth. According to a conversation with Mr. Bruce Harrell, the CPA, there also seems to be some question as to possible fraud in the balloting and elections. Why can we not have a clear understanding of just what expenses were lumped into a single category that appears to have cost NTA some $50,000+? Why are the Profit and Loss statements and Income and Expenses so hard to obtain?

Board Members – remember the old adage “Where there is smoke, there is fire?” Well, we members also are familiar with this adage. Another adage that would fit here is “Go to bed with dogs, wake up with fleas.” Have you all been itching lately?

So here is what we would like.

We want a thorough investigation to clear up all this mess and return NTA to what Mom and Dad envisioned - a way to educate people in the art of taxidermy, help people earn a living, open the closed door shops, and promote wildlife conservation. So let the investigation begin. Let it be a fair and honest one and let the chips fall where they may. If it turns out the leadership is crooked, then dump them all and start over with a new bunch. If it turns out Fred, Harry, Brenda, Michelle, George, Danny, Richard, Mike, and all the others are wrong; then an apology is in order. We are not judging but waiting for an investigation to allay our suspicions. Also open up the membership to everyone, stop this silliness of having the BOD vote on members. This is dim-witted and senseless. It only serves to allow Headquarters to pick and choose members and is discriminatory.

Thank you for listening to our family,

Lola Haynes, Founder NTA, (wife Charlie Haynes, deceased)
    Mike Haynes, son
    Charlie Haynes, son
    Ruthie Haynes Carter, daughter
    Robin Hall, granddaughter
    Rick Gearhart, grandson
    Amber Berry, great granddaughter
    MaKayla Hall, great granddaughter
    =

2. catman

catman Active Member

Wow!

3. mike g

mike g Active Member

That is a really good read!

4. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Thank You Lola and Family

5. ELMER GANTRY

ELMER GANTRY **THE DISTANCE OF GOOSE**

Michael P, it [email protected]@ks like the Keyboard Cowboy's just got a little bigger!!! ;D ;D ;D

6. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Well, I don't see Greg, Cindy, Tinkie, Steve, or Frankie up for and Pioneer Award in the near future...... Mr. Phil, your simple comment made me grin. THANK YOU!

7. ELMER GANTRY

ELMER GANTRY **THE DISTANCE OF GOOSE**

Michael P since you brought it up see what we need to do to get Harry Paulson that Pioneer Award.

8. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

very good letter. Thank you for sharing.

9. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Wow that letter if fantastic and right to the point. Do I think it will happen..... I depends on the Crains. The end of the letter sounds just like the speech that me and my father heard in at Charlies shop on what the NTA is for. As for Harry Paulson, I had the opertunity to sit with Harry and his wife at the awards banquet this past week and you could not find a better person (the guy could even sing at the wrap up party Saturday nite!!!). Harry would get my vote.

Everyone needs to read the letter and understand what the true direction of the NTA is...!

10. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Thank You Ms. Lola, Ms. Ruthie and the entire Haynes family for what you gave to us so many years ago. It is our intention to get it back for the many generations of taxidermists to come. We will prevail.

11. Megan :)

Megan :) Well-Known Member

Wow. Thank you...

12. I am not a taxidermist but clean up skulls for a little extra money. I sign on here and read everyday getting help in the "skull and skeletons" section and browse other sections in awe at some of the things you guys and girls can do.

I have kept up with this for a few weeks now and must say that the above letter is about as well written and powerful as anything I have seen in the fight to set things right with the NTA. Good luck 'yall!!

13. Dan

Dan One Year Old Already!

Great letter, but I'm pretty sure that a dictionary will be needed for some of the board members so that they can fully understand what was written.

14. Bob Mead

Bob Mead Mead Taxidermy Studio, LLC

If this doesn't wake up the BOD, nothing will. Very powerful, and demands action.

15. oldboar

oldboar Taxidermy...do the impossible:)

AMEN!!!!!

Well written, and who can dispute ANY OF IT?

16. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

what a great letter for her to write....however I bet the board of directors will give a flying chit about it at all and could care less about the founding mothers wishes....bet bill haynes won't comment about this....

17. Crittercoroner

Crittercoroner DUDE, your uselessness is epic!

nj
    Just wait til this weekend is over. Then we will know for sure where each and every individual on the board stands.

While I'd agree with everyone else that the letter and it's content from the Haynes family are heartfelt and much needed, it's message will fall on deaf ears, or at the very least be summarily dismissed by a percentage of the board.

18. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Mr. Janelli's heart felt love for the Haynes family runs very very deep. He was in fact groomed by the Haynes family for this very day since he was 9 years old. I don't think JJ will turn a blind eye or a deaf ear to the Haynes family wishes. That relationship is thicker than blood.

19. Swamp Angel

Swamp Angel New Member

The Charlie and Lola Haynes Family love and respect JJ very very much. I call him my "little brother" while Mom considers him another son. We don't mind if he crashes on our couch any time. We are happy Momma Janelli doesn't mind sharing him. We will back him 1000% in anything HONEST he does. Dishonest we will have his hide!

Mom cannot sit up by herself, but last week, when I read to her about that last insane action at the WTC, she got so mad that she almost managed to get part-way up by herself. She was all for us putting her on a mattress in the van and bringing her to the meeting yesterday so she could talk to the BOD in person! She is still just a bit feisty...;) I've always said she's the kind of woman that could go into a live bear's cave with a willow switch and come out with a bear rug. ;D

Ruthie

20. Ruth,
    Now that made my day, It made the last 4months of being on line all the time worth it,, and Harry & Freds battle of 3-4 years worth it. Thanks,
    Gregg Ielfield