1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lets play a game...... guess the year.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by michael p., May 17, 2013.

1. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Can anybody guess what year this was written?

[​IMG]

2. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

you wrote that today Mike..... ;D

3. Bob Mead

Bob Mead Mead Taxidermy Studio, LLC

Probably around the same time the NTA tried to force the state associations to choose affiliation or not being able to use the NTA scoresheets at the state events. I'm guessing 2003-ish...

4. I guess Dan Rinehart ;)

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

6. oldboar

oldboar Taxidermy...do the impossible:)

My guess is 1999...

7. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

It's a 30 year old editorial in a 1983 copy of Taxidermy Review written by Joe Kish.

If things don't change TODAY, it's gone.

8. Derrin

Derrin New Member

Who was the president, vp, at that time period??

9. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, I remember that. Joe and his partner who was a artist (Peter R. ? not sure of his name) started Taxidermy Review magazine and had the first taxidermy competition in Denver that I went to that year or it may of been the following one; not sure. then they had one in Atlanta. The NTA at the time wanted no part what so ever of competitions at NTA conventions and they were butting heads with Joe Kish often on several fronts. When the NTA saw what a success and what great taxidermist attendance was at competitions they then adapted the idea and style of it. Joe also regularly wrote and preached that taxidermists were their own worst enemies when it came to business self esteem and pricing. That is also still true today. P.S. Joe invited me to stay at his home for a long week back in those days and mentored me in taxidermy at his studio one on one and then refused payment. I learned "a lot". I have heard over the years that this was/is a M.O. of his.

10. grumpa

grumpa Active Member

Joe's partner was Peter Reshtniak? and he lent his car to me and Jim to go to the Denver Museam. What a trip for a couple of dummies, heh Jim?? Joe had his crap together way back when and, unfotunately, taxidermists haven't really changed much from the "Old Days" And neither has the NTA Taxidermy, however, has changed. But the more things change, the more they stay the same.

11. James Marsico

There was no such thing as the internet or cell phones back then. Yet I have no doubt their are "professional" taxidermists today charging the same as some where then or even less. I hope the NTA wakes up and gets cleaned up; but I have serious doubts. Factiod: The NTA are 99.9% made up of taxidermists.

12. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Makes me wonder what makes up the other .1%

13. James Marsico

there was a lawyer on here the other day that is a member that does pro bono work for the NTA. I am sure there are a few hunters and SCI guys that have been or are members to show support over the years, etc. It seems that right nowThe NTA is not doing a good job at much to be proud of these days. I hope that changes for the better soon.

14. It changed for the better yesterday. Now we have to all get behind the new direction and help push against the inertia. We can NOT slip back into the same apathy that's been in effect the last 30 years and expect a lasting change.

GO GO GO KEYBOARD COWBOYS (and COWGIRLS)...

15. I believe the NTA will move forward, like we did many years ago when we all worked for the NTA and didn't bleed it to death. Way back then (1969-1971) I worked with Dana Paust his family and crew on some of the Museum work in Penn. and I enjoyed it, up until now I felt like a stranger among wolves who was just hiding out. That is no way to feel. Lets move forward and bring back the good old days.