1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounting an armadillo. Need some help!

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Superpig, May 17, 2013.

1. All these years in business and I finally got my first armadillo in, actually 2. Oh boy. I know how to basically skin them with taking off the shell first then skinning the body and there are a couple of options for the tail. My main question is can you split the ears on an armadillo or don't even attempt it. I don't want them torn out. I split them on possums before so I am thinking it is about the same. Anyone has any advice before I get to starting on those critters without pulling out all my hair? :eek:

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm the old school (some claim primitive) buut I inject them and card them.

3. joey P Holmes

joey P Holmes New Member

George is right about the ears. The tail can be done in segments. Roger martin did a great article in taxidermy today about 20 or 25 years ago. Maybe terry can come up with a back issue or copy of that. Great article with some neat methods.

4. thanks guys.

5. I have mounted a couple of them. carded the ears like a squirrel, no problems.

6. intohunting

intohunting Member

AZ
    Caution, make sure you use gloves.

Here is a link about armadillos being linked to leprosy:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/04/27/armadillos.spreading.leprosy/index.html

7. Safari12

Safari12 Member

Last armadillo I did, I took the tail apart 2 sections at a time and then 3-4 sections at a Time when the tail got smaller. I also termed the ears and put epoxy sculpt in them. Worked great !!

8. that is great info from ya'll. I knew about the leprosy and number 1 rule in the shop is to never ever touch any animal without gloves on.

9. Terrys Artistic Taxidermy

Terrys Artistic Taxidermy Fishing in Chernoble

I split the ears and put in some sculptall also - worked great, and I casted the tail in one piece in a two part plaster mould, then made a reproduction tail out of fiberglass.
    I mounted it skiing because there was a lot of rich texans in Aspen and I figured someone would buy it.
    Terry

Attached Files: