1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

mackenzie earliner Butts to thick ?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Larry Vielhauer, May 18, 2013.

1. Just wondering........................about to ask McKenzie..............

Can you possibly make the earliners with a thinner ear butt thickness ?

I like to PIN down the earliners after poseing the ears, til the mount dries.
    Their basic earliners work great but the butt area is way to thick to put pins into.
    How many others would like them thinner ?

Also, be careful with the new Van Dyke earliners, as they will not get sticky when you dip them in lacquer thinner to dust them with sand or fine sawdust for better adheision ). You will have to spend valuable time sanding them to get good adhesion or drumming will occur.
    They use a different type of plastic now than they did several years ago. I wish suppliers would TELL us when they change or stop selling a certain product . I used to use Van Dyke earliners just bc the ear butts were thinner & pinable, now they changed the type of plastic, apparently bc the other plastic is more expensive or they can't get it ? No explaination why, take it or leave it !

Now the McKenzie liners need a thinner butt, can't never win, lol...............

2. buckmasters243

buckmasters243 Active Member

Use denatured alcohol on them.But put it in the corn cob grit or saw dust quickly because it will dry quickly

3. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Never have I had denatured alcohol soften or melt plastic, heck it comes in plastic bottles. Now acetone might do the trick.

4. buckmasters243

buckmasters243 Active Member

It works I have seen it done it makes it sticky I think that the ear liners are a different plastic.I don't know about denatured alcohol in plastic bottles but I buy mine in metal cans.

5. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Gentlemen, trust me when I say youre going the wrong direction by using thinners or solvents to make earliners tacky so sawdust sticks, so glue sticks, so the skin sticks.

Lightly scoff them, lightly apply waterbased glue, and then slip em in the skin. Thinner, stronger, and more accurate, not to mention easier. Hope youll like the suggestion, it does work.

Larry, guys are putting a thin layer of clay on the form, pulling up the cape, and "smushing" the ear base into that clay, to hold it up while the mount tightens up, instead of pins. Hope that helps you!

6. Harvestmoontaxi

Harvestmoontaxi Lake of the woods walleyes

What type of glue are you using Bill? I have a lot better luck using magic smooth,for trouble free adhesion.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Whisky Tango Hotel does that anymore? Seriously, who throws a shoe? (Austin Powers quote) Someone needs to get up to speed, there is no need to do any of those old witch hunt tricks if you have slack skin around the liner.

8. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Drill a hole through the earbutt and counter sink it. Use a drywall screw to attach the earbutt to the form.

9. Bill Yox

If you wanna attach it in advance like Rick is saying, a blop of bondo instead of clay will also do the trick.

Harvest, Im not telling you not to, but I dont like the looks of epoxied ears, the hair, the feel, or the later drumming. Some wont agree, but thats me. I use good waterbased glues like McKenzie, BS or Paul Cales Pro...

10. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

I agree with Bill. The Epoxies are too unforgiving if something goes wrong.

11. Bill Yox

Rick Im glad to see you feel this way too, as I usually am in the minority on this. It also makes the hair lay flat, and the ear to have a harsh appearance. To me, the somewhat slower set time of waterbased glue evaporating through the skin allows it a softer look.

12. millardtaxi

millardtaxi JOHN 3:3

I use to put thinner on my ear liners and then glue the whole big process like you guys are talking about. Then one day I read a post by a guy named yox..... Tried it cause imagine that it was simple....and god knows I like to complicate things that don't need to be. But the last ten deer I've done I've just scuffed the liners added glue and inserted. Whalla no drumming at all what so ever. Hummm it really was that easy.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

13. Bill Yox

Millard, as funny as that is, I used to apply thinner, and finally skipped all the rest, just thinner and then glue, it was that sticky. But I noticed that thinners often left an oily residue on my countertop, which I felt might not be good for adhesion of an earliner. Brad Eppley taught me long ago about lightly scuffing the surface rather than aggressively sanding the liner.

14. thanks guys....................guess I will have to try this ( seemingly Simple way ) Lightly sanding & no liner treatment, & water based hide paste & do it while it is still wet ? ) ok ....................

I still find it necessary to PIN the ear butts in position as it dries even if I use clay as a builder in addition to the butts liner as the commercial liners are not large enough for the average deer's earbutt .
    Using pins to hold the liners but in place is tough to do if you only have a small ( Y) or ( T ) cut in the cased cape & if done from the outside leaves a large hole from the drywall screw ?

Why can't they make a liner with a thinner butt ? Back to the original question for this Post in the first place, lol . Does everyone else LIKE the thick butts w.t. deer ear liners of mcKenzies earliners ?

15. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    They don't make them thinner because then they will have people complaining that they are too thin.
    I have never understood the practice of adding sawdust or sand in the mix. How the hell could it do anything? Other than add another step to the process. It has absolutely no adhesive properties.
    Predrill small holes in the same place on all your butts and pin them, if you don't like the method of installing them first with a screw.

16. litefeather

litefeather New Member

I gave up on plastic and went celastic.

17. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

If the ears are in the right place they should not need to be pinned, the clay or plastic butts if you use them , should stay with no problem. I use T-pins to hold the skin in place before I sew to keep the ears from falling down, but never used anything to hold ears in place while drying. The next day they should be locked in place. I preclay the ear butts on the form with the liners, pop them off and let them set while prepping everthing else, use BS, slide the ears in the cape and mount.

18. butterbean

butterbean New Member

x2 with Rick counter sink & screws.