1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Can someone I D tis beast for us?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Mason, May 19, 2013.

1. Mason

Mason Active Member

Thanks for the information folks! It's greatly appreciated. All the firsts seem so intimidating , till Ya fly into em ;D
    Is there a decent video around for a sheep/ram?

Thanks, Ron and Linda

2. shammy

shammy New Member

Ron it is a Merino, I've mounted 4, formic acid pickle, shave, pickle, degrease, pickle 24 hrs. neutralize and Liqui-tanned the skin. After mounting and drying I took it outside and used the garden hose on it and got it drenched then mixed peroxide an whiting to get white. That you get at Sally's beauty supply. The same some use on getting skulls white. Make sure you use rubber gloves when working it into the wool. Let it set for awhile before rinsing out with hose. Rinse real good till water is clear. May need a 2nd time done also. Then put fan on it for 2 wks, then go to finishing when dry. shammy

3. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

They are easy to mount and a bitch to groom.

4. I've mounted a few of them hope u have a crane when that hide gets wet they weight bout 400 pounds and buy plenty of bleach lol

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

5. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

The part you HAVE to get right is cleaning the horns. Don't wait to get them OFF the cores. Some people like to ROT them off in a bag(which is a good way for a valuable sheep) but I prefer boiling on those worthless sheep. If you let the horns dry to long they will be a PITA to get off.

Otherwise they are a piece of cake to mount IF you send it out to a RECOMENDED tannery. Not all tanneries can do a good sheep.

I have found that Dall or Bighorn forms work for them and they make a nice looking mount on those.

6. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

I've went to something a little different with cleaning my horns. I have an extended air chuck has about a 1/8 end on it. I drill a hole in back of both sides boil horns about 20 minutes put nozzle in hole put a little air to it and they usually pop right off. I've never had a single problem and have always gotten horns absolutely clean.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire