1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skinning Mule Deer out for Life size?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by quest, May 19, 2013.

1. quest

quest Member

Utah
    Looking for information on the proper way to skin a Mule deer out for life size mount. I've tried to search maybe I'm not using the right wording? Thanks.

2. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

I skinned mine out in the field and did a dorsal cut with relief cuts on the legs. Having said that I would vent cut the next one for ease of test fitting and either pre sew and then dorsal or just sew the vent cut up after mounting. That's the way I did my elk and it was so much easier to test fit and work with.

3. quest

quest Member

Utah
    Where do you cut down the legs inside middle, inside back toward the rear? How far do you cut down the legs?

4. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

You just cut straight down the back of the legs and the key is straight cuts and nice points at each interceting cut. The hardest place to sew is the armpits so try to keep that in mind when making those cuts. I hope this helps.

5. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Maybe this will help ...
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3939977017940.2146308.1235367200&type=3

6. for deer I like the ventral incision. Seems hard to hide the seam down the back of a deer for most poses. If he was reared up or something then I would probably do a dorsal.

7. quest

quest Member

Utah
    This content is currently unavailable
    The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.
    Return home

8. jbconnected

jbconnected Member

I got that same message on my phone, but it worked fine on my desktop.

9. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

As I revisited this post I must admit dorsal cutting might be the wrong way to go. My deer was a long haired buck and the seam is well hidden but shorter hair would be tough to hide. As for the cuts, I try to stay in the middle of the hair pattern on the back of the leg where the hair from both sides comes together.

10. quest

quest Member

Utah
    That's what I was thinking. I want to do one laying down so I plan on making the cuts where they wont show.

11. LordRusty

Ohio
    It opens on a computer.

12. quest

quest Member

Utah
    I'm sorry John Bellucci your talking to someone who's lacks in computer skills. Ill have to find out from my better half lol.

13. LordRusty

Ohio
    LOL! It was my better half who taught me about computers. ;D And still does from time to time! LOL!

Dorsal incision on a Bear ...
    [​IMG]

Ventral or Belly Incision for a flat skin ... for rug or lifesize purposes.
    [​IMG]

Ventral incision for Bobcat, Lynx, African Wildcat, Cougar, Leopard, etc.
    [​IMG]

Skinning incisions for large BIG cats ... I just like looking at this illustration! LOL!
    [​IMG]

This is the standard 'case' skinning method.
    [​IMG]

Warthog are a special case all their own, and are best opened up through their chinny-chin-chin!
    [​IMG]

Full dorsal on Deer ...
    [​IMG]

Alternate or short dorsal.
    [​IMG]

Ventral incision on Deer.
    [​IMG]

To view this page in it's full size, right click on image and select 'Properties', copy the 'Address' (URL), paste in your browsers tool bar, and click your 'Enter' key.
    [​IMG]

To view this page in it's full size, right click on image and select 'Properties', copy the 'Address' (URL), paste in your browsers tool bar, and click your 'Enter' key.
    [​IMG]

Measurement chart ...
    [​IMG]

14. quest

quest Member

Utah
    Wow that's great info thank you.