1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Muskie Head Mount

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by 7-Point, May 19, 2013.

1. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

My cousin caught his first ever Muskie yesterday here in Maryland and asked me if I wanted to do a head mount of it. I took on the challenge of course. The fish was 36.5 inches long. But how should I go about doing it? My plan at this moment is to buy a full manikin and cut it down accordingly but is that necessary? Would it be better to freeze dry it? I wouldn't mind having it freeze dried if that's the way to go. If someone on her does freeze drying, let me know. So let me know how you all do your skin mount, Muskie head mounts! Thanks!

2. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. Perca it's not that bad. I just skinned one out and have 3 more in the freezer.

4. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

You would be a candidate for lynching for that in Wisconsin.
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,57264.0.html

5. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

I know that skin mount muskies are frowned upon haha but I don't have a choice. Any help guys?

6. kazo

kazo New Member

Its easy to do! Just like your doing a 360 skin mount only its much easy-er. I first make the measurements for the mannikin . Then cut the head of and clean.Cut on the belly ,skin it and clean. Install a wood block in the back side of the mannikin with hot glue .Cut out a piece of plywood to fit the shape of the mannikin ( back side).Attach the plywood to the wood block. Put skin on mannikin sew it and staple the back to the plywood.Attach the head and remake scales on the belly. Attach to base . That's how I do it and hope this helps.

7. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

Or save a load if rebuiild.work and order the appropriate head from LCR. Tell them it is a head mount and you will get pec fins and a couple inches of skin area. My question is since you have the fish anyway, why not mount the whole fish rather than waste it and a form?

8. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

Thanks guys!

And Monty, I don't have the whole fish. My cousin cut the fish right behind the fins so that's all I have to work with.

9. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

Ok, I understand that. I did use one of the LCR heads a few years ago for the same type situation. A little costly but made the job much easier and ended up saving time with excellent results.

10. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

I would mount it conventionally first..carve a partial "body"....clean it well.....then freeze dry the mount rather than air dry.....will keep lips looking nice and full

11. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

WHY?

12. BECAUSE ;D

13. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

OK ;)

14. 7-Point,I just got doing a Northern pike Head not really that hard I just filled the head with Mache and put a piece of wood in the Back though it dosen't have under the tongue where the throat is atached to it if you want to see it go to SHASKI'S FISH TAXIDERMY on facebook

15. byrdman

whats wrong with skin mount muskies?I get several "floaters" brought in every summer..............most of the popular muskie lakes around here where there is a lot of "catch and release" .....so many of the bigger fish just cannot take the stress of being caught ,played netted,photoed and released.............well meaning fishermen would be better off to not even fish them in the heat of summer.....or keep them for the wall...most of them are going to die anyway

16. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

I wish DougP would chime in on your reply. Did you read the link I posted? The extent to which the extreme C&R muskies clubs oppose the keeping(killing) of ANY muskie cannot be overstated.

17. byrdman

ya extreme c&r fishermen are killing way more fish than they know or like to admit....

18. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I make a tracing of the head and throat with paper towel crammed into the mouth to duplicate the mouth gape I want. Carve a manikin out of foam with a wooden back board and you're good to go.

Then only incision I make is on the bottom of the throat and fo course fill in the cheeks with filler. Hardest part is skinning the head out.