1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Simple observation

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Rick Carter, May 20, 2013.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Catman, that's not the story we saw here. And the 89 is just as bad in itself. No GOOD judge would ever give an 89 or a 79 to a competitor. Again, it's a carrot that's unreachable. If you don't have the balls to score it an 85 or 86, or even 88, don't go teasing and tormenting the competitor. When I ran competitions here, judges were instructed that a 79 or 89 would not be accepted for that specific reason. I don't have a bit of a problem with a mount NOT getting a blue, but I do have a problem with judges playing with people's emotions. Grow some balls and tell the person the mount isn't blue ribbon material. I still say, with a 3 judge panel, throw the low score out - EVEN IF ALL THREE ARE 99.99.

You guys amaze me living the dream. Can you imagine - as I had at the NTA where a "famous" judge was fired- him going in and giving that mount a 35? IT HAPPENED. Do you see what the average would have been if it was a 90, 91, 35. It works out to a final score of 72. One dumbass judge can swing an entire competition. This guy did it and because it was close, you guys are trying to pooh pooh the result. (Even Bill implied he's cautious of saying anything for fear he may piss of someone judging his mount. LOL) The way I see it, the teaser score only hides the egregiousness of the offense. If it had been a 35, I'd hope more of you would agree with me.

2. Harry Whitehead

Harry Whitehead I love to hunt Buffalos!!!!!

Well, what about this. How about a World Champ was decided. They are trying to make some of the remaining competitors ABLE to play to have a Second and Third in World. The judges walk around the room and are looking at the Best in World pieces to decide the Best of Show. All of a sudden the one that was decided the Best in World (blank) wasn't. No one knew that there was a "change". Until the banquet. Then, what do you do? Do you go to the competitor and tell him you're f$&ked??? Just a question...!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

Well George I know you've been around this stuff way longer than I have, I would never imagine someone would do that, but I see your point. Throwing out the lowest score would keep that from happening.

4. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

You can beat this subject like a dead horse and their will always be a difference in opinion. This is Larry's show and if their is a different system that needs to be worked out I'm sure he will not make the decision by himself considering the ramifications it may have. This subject matter all started I'll bet because someone didn't get what they wanted. I would suggest sending your thoughts on to Larry.

5. rd@nt

[email protected] New Member

Here is my reply to all of this. I have judged a lot of shows including the word show in i997 and 2001. My question is oh just mark a couple boxes out of 140 boxes to check and say oh that's a 89 0r 90 how did they come up with that . Should have checked at least 11 boxes to come up with 89 or how about this one oh this is a 90 and check 6 boxes Then say oh you never scored high enough sorry no best in world try again This happened 2 world shows in a row. The judges are not doing their job right and one or 2 can make the decision. Reproductions and large mouth bass. This is a major problem. I know I can never do a sturgeon as good as I did it was one of best molds I ever did came out as good as possible. I have molded over 600 fish. Randy D.

6. Harry Whitehead

Harry Whitehead I love to hunt Buffalos!!!!!

And what do you tell the guy that won? " sorry, but you were never considered in the Best of Show voting"???

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. George

Rich, before reaching the conclusion you just did and truly embarrassing yourself, maybe it would be wise for you to go back and see who started this post.

8. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

I had a judge score me once with an 88. Said it was an 89, but didn't have the heart to deny me a blue by one point.
    (^)&^%*^^*&)(+(+(%

If you can go backwards one point, you can go forward just as easily. I saw it as nothing but an attempt at stroking my ego. I wasn't there to have my ego stroked. I wanted to know where I stood. An 88 said I was two points from reaching the goal, not one.

9. Dan Gill

Dan Gill New Member

whatever mount is in question, I wonder how many of us would look at it and say, "yep, its sub par".

10. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    I am pretty sure this is largemouth spoke of in most of this post. It scored 90,90, & 89 at the most recent world show. Rules state, it must avg. a 90 to be illegible for medallion. Personally, I knew the issues with it and they found them all. I had dreams of it being my best ever, but it fell short of my goal. I have competed enough to realized that 89.67 means, close, but not this time. It wasn't an accident, mistake, conspiracy, or fluke. It just wasn't deemed good enough by the panel of three judges. It is not the first time a show hasn't gone my way and I am sure it won't be my last. I will try again in 2015 in hopes of winning it one more time. Did it suck? Sure, but life goes on.

Attached Files:

11. timwilly

timwilly I lost my agenda !!!

KBauman

Your bass is truly inspiring to those of us that hope to ever put out work at that level.
    I know it's off subject of original post, but
    may I ask what issues were found and how many times did you strip and redo?

12. rd@nt

Oh Something I found also on my score sheets I was given bonus points that were not added to my score. Also Judges comments casting excellent with great detail from one judge next Nice cast and paint job. Then the last judge . This is a very easy subject to mold. which is nice. But the painting. very very simple done with no depth or detail A baby great Lakes sturgeon Come on how many of them get done? The fish came from the US fish and wildlife in new York. Randy D.

13. Brian Claar

Brian Claar New Member

Well that sums it up.
    Ken isn't complaining about it, so why is anyone else?
    I know that he was disappointed but he isn't accusing the Judges of anything.
    That's called "CLASS"

14. George

Brian, it's the PRINCIPLE involved. You know that number score is now and has always been subjective. It's something a judge pulls out of his ass. The FRACTION used is tacky, comedic, and clownish. At that level of competition, an 89 is intended to be an insult, pure and simple. What would you guys defending this be saying if the scores had been 90,91,and 85. I still haven't had a response and I know why. If you're honest with yourself and truthful, your first question would be ,"Who was the judge". The beauty of being someone who doesn't compete is that I can say these things without feeling threatened by retribution.

15. rd@nt

Very Good George. I will never change my mind on my sturgeon repro I have way to much attendance. I was right with what I said previous in all of this it is up to Larry skip and Ken and the committee now. Randy D.

16. rd@nt

I meant to say"way too much evidence', not attendance.

17. Dang, I'll just stick to mounting them for customers....

18. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

I rest my case.

19. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

I'll do the art competitions....250,000 judges...No score sheets... ;D

20. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

OMG dude, you are a trip. I have had the same attitude towards competing for years and I have told this to numerous people, including myself: "If you don't like getting beat, GET BETTER!" I didn't see your little fishy but if you expect me to sit here and believe it was flawless, you are out of your mind. It's flaws are the reason you didn't win, so make fewer errors next time. I'd say the same to Ken, but I don't have to because he is a man of class and integrity and while I'm sure it made him sick to his stomach he went on. No protests. No whining. He's just headed back to the shop to start on 2015's fish, and anyone that saw this one had better bring it if they think they're going to beat that guy! Awesome Bass Kenneth!!!!!!