1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

NTA "So what's in it for me?"

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by dablaw, May 20, 2013.

1. dablaw

dablaw Member

So as I sit here for a few moments and reflect on things that have been going on lately in my life, on here, and with the NTA, I have heard subliminally over and over from the dead wood of the organization "What the NTA gonna do for me?", or that they "Owe me"...Not in spoken words but in felt feelings...
    As I have watched many of you spearhead to revamping and reorganizing of the NTA, I started to see the old guard get desperate, the new one get hungry, and the NTA start to have meaning and life breathed back into it...
    I want to say that I'm am very proud of all of you that have stood shoulder to shoulder against to wrong doings of late, held your ground in what you believe will be a great organization to benefit all taxidermists...
    The only way things like this can happen is if the people wanting the change have no hidden agenda and are at a point in their life(Like I am) where it feels better to give to something than take away from it...For too many years it seems as though the NTA was led by greed and self promotion...Now, I pray that our new NTA will be led by honesty,integrity, and people that want the NTA to succeed for what they do for it, not that they will succeed by what the NTA did for them..
    An NTA that is more involved on every level...State, and even maybe break the U.S. into regions where a president from one of the states in the region would represent everyones voice in that region, and have a monthly or quarterly report to the President of the NTA..That way the Pres. would know not only what goes on in a state but a regional demographic as well and maybe changes could constantly be made to benefit the people of a region...Have state shows with winners to go to regionals, the those regional winners go to the WTC ...Things like that would be unique and attractive to membership old and new alike...
    I would really love to see, and I truly believe that the logical next step is to merge the NTA/UTA and have one mother organization...The ole phrase"United We Stand" has new meaning here...
    And Taxidermy.net should be THE internet presence for the NTA and everything taxi related..I know this would take a little giving on everyones part, but isn't this the best way to represent the NTA, to meld it with THE taxidermy presence on the net??? It should really be put on the table for discussion at the very least...
    I'm not going to sit here and outline every idea that has crossed my mind like the before mentioned but there alot of ways to improve and excite...As you have seen membership is going to explode and it's members will want to volunteer and help where ever and when ever possible when there is something to believe in...
    I know in my heart of hearts now, that this new NTA so to speak, is one of caring people, and good people...I will not tell here how I know this because that is between me and some great people that have been there for me the last few days, when they didn't have to be...
    I have a whole new outlook and respect for the NTA as a whole now, and I know without a shadow of a doubt, that it will be the NTA many have always wanted...
    I don't expect everyone to agree with my point of view, and that's ok as well...But we ALL need to show a new found respect for each other as fellow taxinetters, taxidermist, artists, and educators...and most importantly human beings...So if someone asks you "Whats in it for me" maybe you should reply with "What are you going to be for it?"

David Burris
    684 Crossland Rd.
    Murray,Ky.42071
    Ph: 270-227-0460

2. David, Please send your ideas to me in either an email or pm. We on the board see and know things must be different, so anything that is a new idea, we certainly want to hear and consider!!!!

Over the years I have made hundreds of new friends through the taxidermy world,State, regional , National and World levels. Its great to have and know people all over our planet. I have learned a lot of new techniques by going to seminars (Charlie and Lola Haynes got these started!!) I look at it like this, since starting taxidermy in 1977, I have opened new doors everywhere, all of us have learned something new in taxidermy through the way the NTA started.

I was ask today this question "What is your reason for being on the board of the NTA?" I replied it is simple almost everything I know in taxidermy can be contributed to the NTA's origin!

I look at the last few years and I see Animal rights people (Who dont have any idea about managing animal populations) attacking hunting and fishing.
    I see anti gunners in Washington attacking our gun rights. That is all about our way of life, we need a strong association more now, than ever!!

We should be 10,000 strong! and now I fully believe we have this chance!!!

I am on the BOD for the members!! If there is something you would like to see done, let me know and I will take it forward!

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

David, that's beautiful. Years ago when I was on the board, I went to state association meeting and conventions. I was usually asked to give a short spiel and almost every one ended up with that "what's in it for me" question. Just like your last line, my first answer was always, "Nothing" and I finished just as you did.

The "new" NTA hopefully will resemble the "old NTA" in the many ways when it flourished and membership was over 2000. Conventions were always filled with people laughing and talking, corridors were full of people moving between seminars, supply areas and competition rooms. The hotel bar and restaurant were filled with laughter and good times. There were no wall flowers allowed and if you were alone, someone dragged you into their fold and introduced you. Actually, that happened to me at the Richmond, Virginia NTA Convention. Connie and I knew no one and bought a banquet ticket on a lark. Rod Connelly pulled us over to his table and proceeded to introduce me to dozens of people I'd only read about in Breakthrough magazine. That night, I swore that when I became involved, I'd do what Rod had done and make sure no one felt "left out".

As the NTA got older, apathy showed up and began to spread. Competitors formed coffee klatches and directors tended to avoid members. In fact, directors became totally useless in the end as the good ones who worked to make the member's stays happy ended up leaving because all the responsibilities were being dumped on them. I'm not trying to brag, but in the time I was around the conventions, Tony Finazzo, Brenda Duvall, and Manny Chavez probably matched me with the hours spent on that convention floor. Some of the others were "grip and grin" people who made the rounds, but they never had to wash their hands from actual hard labor.

So that's what I long to see once more. I want the halls to be filled with happy voices and no one standing against the wall being excluded. I don't want that as a bucketlist item, either. I want it now.

4. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

I don't think Taxinet should be "the presence" of the NTA, but rather "A tool" used to promote, inform, recruit, and otherwise boost the overall rate of success.

5. dablaw

dablaw Member

Like I said in my original post it's ok to disagree with me...I for one no very little compared to most about the NTA(Although I have been studying up) and the UTA I really know very little...I think my point got lost somewhere, but Mr.Roof was able to pick up on it...Unity in the sense of fellowship, camaraderie, or what ever you wanna call it is what my ongoing theme here is...
    As I read Mr. Roofs post I could close my eyes and travel through the room of old and see and feel how it was in the beginning...And I know life was simpler back then, and low tech, but you can't get a "Feelings" app on your Iphone ya know....
    If anyone wants to disagree that's fine, but to be negative towards so many positives going on is like carrying around 10 pounds of hate in a 5 pound sack...People are gonna see it, and if some wanna make that choice they will put THEMSELVES on the outside looking in...
    As I look tonight at the horrible weather in OK and beyond, I can only see the big picture on what really matters in life...Things will be destroyed, and things will be rebuilt...But our spirit of HUMAN being will not perish...As the storm are rolling in on us tonight here in Ky, I wonder what tommorrow will bring....Will this be the time it hits home for me? Or will it again pass me by.....

6. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

This post is already cut so much it doesnt make much sense.

OK ........ NTA "So what's in it for me?"

As a simple non member I have watched all of the events of late unfold and I commend all involved for cutting the dead wood.

We as taxidermists , full time or hobbies, are also gun owners , hunters , trappers , fishermen, conservationists , community leaders , youth supporters , volunteers for many of the 3 million worthy causes. And we already have many worthy organisations that we pay into watching out for our interests . Most offer some sort of education and instruction on all kinds of different levels. I also feel that most are self serving and self promting to point.

So I'm asking ....NTA "So what's in it for me?" Sell me on the NTA .

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Jay, my answer stands. "NOTHING". People who need to limit their memberships to organizations doing "things" for them are quite limited and end up in bridge clubs and private bars. A membership in the NTA entitles you to advertise to your customers that you think enough about what you're doing to be a member of an organization dedicated to its principles. It allows you to comingle with people of all backgrounds and all talents who share a common bond with you and with whom you can gain valuable insight. I was once told that the Taxidermy Net does that for free. Well, if it does, I'm missing the part about being able to meet people face to face, to get instant feedback to a question from people who have been there and who don't have to worry about mistyping or misspelling. You don't have to guess the mood they're in from the words they've written. With the NTA you have singular dedicated "clearing house" and a means of contacting what we hope to soon be back to that 2000 member threshhold as well as a competition where you can compete against people of other nations and states in hopes of being able to put "National Champion" behind your name and on your business card. (That may not mean a lot to some of your customers, but to your peers, it gives you credibility and to your clients, it gives them a gauge in which to judge your work by.)

By nature, taxidermists are recluses and certainly don't play well together. An umbrella organization and a national convention give them the sense of ownership in their industry devoid of outside pressures.

But it's a PERSONAL decision. You can rebuff membership (usually those people aren't members of ANYTHING and the few they are, they really aren't involved directly in.) You an join and just come along for the ride, going to free seminars and buying discounted supplies from companies plying their wares. OR you can become actively involved in molding the future of taxidermy and hold an office or help with a convention or volunteer to host a seminar or just be a gregarious person who simply enjoys the company of like minded individuals. The choice is yours and what you "get out of it" is directly commensurate with "what you put into it." Good luck.

8. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

hahaha .... X2

Thank you George! Well put and to the point.

9. Harry Whitehead

Harry Whitehead I love to hunt Buffalos!!!!!

George is 100% correct. If you sit back and wait for things to come to you they usually don't. If you are active and become involved you will receive a just reward equal to or greater than the effort that you have exerted!! I say be active!!!!

10. dablaw

dablaw Member

George, I couldn't have said it better...

Remember the quote from William Arthur Ward ...The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.”