1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

NTA Membership

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, May 20, 2013.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

From what I'm told, the current board is finding the NTA treasury in tatters and several times, protected funds garnered from Life Memberships have been raided. These were funds that provided interest income for many of the programs we supported as well as gave us a solid financial foundation for those hard times.

Many of you don't realize that the NTA was living from hand to mouth because of such practices. Conventions certainly help, but it was the membership renewals that provided operating capital.

Currently the NTA has ZERO paid employees. Not that it doesn't expect to pay some stipend to Joe Kulis for his efforts and facilities, but as for PAID employees, there are none. That can't go on forever. SOMEONE has to answer the phone and SOMEONE has to mail out information to members and SOMEONE has to possibly rebuild the entire records keeping system from the ground up. SOMEONE is going to have a lot of time invested in running the "day to day" operations of the NTA.

So I'm just throwing this out, especially to you younger people who think you might hang around as long as us old farts, have you considered a Life Membership? Membership is $65 a year, but if you stay a member for 10 years, you'll have paid $25 more than a life membership and you STILL have to pay your dues next year. Sadly, with the economy the way it is, in 10 years, you'll probably have paid a helluva lot more than $625 anyway.

The reason I say this is to entice some of you to invest where your dues can go into a REAL protected fund now and it can increase the size of the NTA investments through interest bearing accounts. The NTA president assured me just a few hours ago that those funds will again be treated as they were intended and will NOT be used for loans and bills for things we should have never bought to begin with.

2. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

I would agree, George. However, let's get step one done first which is enrolling all of us who were never members to begin with because of the way the organization was being run. Many are still skeptical and asking them to kick in $65 is asking them to take a giant step of faith. Asking them to invest in a $625 life membership at this point is really way out there. I'd like to propose a one time membership drive deal that would allow anyone who joins as a regular yearly member between now and the convention in July be allowed to apply what they paid for a year membership towards a life membership when renewal time comes in January if they like the way the "new" NTA is being run. That is a win-win for the member and the NTA.

3. Ive been considering doing just that George. Ive always learned alot and had a good time at the conventions, met a lot of good folks. I believe weve turned a corner here and im excited that its only going to get better and i want to be a part of it.

4. George

James, you're absolutely correct. Mea Culpa. I was thinking more along the line of guys who've been members and who were renewing memberships rather than getting that new blood the organization needs so desperately. Thanks for reminding me.

I guess I think along the lines that every answer I've even given on this forum was given under the mantra of what Charlie Haynes intended when he and Lola formed it so many years ago. You young guys, jump on in. The water's fine. Now's a great time to join and help insure it stays true to its mission.

5. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

I will say that I agree with James on this. I will also say, and you are just going to have to trust my reason and judgement on this for now, but we NEED 250 new memberships. For reasons that we hope do not come up but realize they could, we need to show a substantial growth due to recent events that took place. So, lets get those new memberships sent in asap. Joe is ready to go. The address is posted. I have the honor of becoming the first new member under the NEW NTA, but second is up for grabs. LOL The second thing is; if at all possible come to the convention and enter a piece. That means you too George. And I don't want to hear that BS that you don't compete. You do now. LOL Bring a chicken.

6. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

Are Chickens easy??????

7. gab

gab Active Member

I would probably still be a member now if they just sent out reminders when membership was going to expire.mine lapsed and I never received an app to keep it going.my state assn. does this too. they expect everyone to re up at the convention but not everyone goes.

8. James Parrish

This is the main reason my NCTA membership is not active at the moment. I never think to send my dues in when they are due in January. I always pay at the convention, but I had to miss last year's and did not think about sending in the dues. Had I received a reminder (not just a blurb to all members in a newsletter) in the form of a letter or email, I would have paid them.

Another suggestion for the "new" NTA is to make yearly memberships run for 12 months from the date the person pays. With a simple computer database that most anyone can set up, this can be easily tracked. It would help renewals go smoother and give a constant flow of cash since not everyone would be paying at the same time. Renewal notices could be sent by email or snail mail 30-60 days before the membership expires...just like my DU, Delta Waterfowl, NRA, etc. memberships.

Yet another suggestion is to bring the NTA into the 21st century by allowing people to join online and pay online. I have not written a check in several months....matter of fact I don't know if I've written one in 2013. Maybe Mr. Bill can handle this since he's the NTA's internet guru. What I'm getting at is that technology can handle many of the membership management duties in a more efficient way than any human ever could.

9. gab

gab Active Member

I noticed when I clicked on NTA on this site,at the bottom is a big Conservation Force banner.Since they're broke,will they scale back their involvement with them?

10. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

They better ;)

11. Bill Haynes

Bill Haynes New Member

Mr. Parris
    You probably haven't read the posts here, but I am not the internet person anymore.

12. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

I would suggest hiring George to handle the phones, mail net.....................he is trustworthy and anal about things being done properly. He has 28,414 posts here and this would occupy his time and cut down on his posts while doing a great service to the New NTA. I will be rejoining also as a show of support to JJ

13. James Parrish

Now, there is a quality idea!

14. mike g

mike g Active Member

There are many past (Not current) NTA members that don't get on taxidermy.net or know or realize that things have changed. It would be nice to see some sort of letter go out to past members inviting them to come back.

15. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Yes it would.

16. shammy

shammy New Member

I agree with James on this as well. Also the reason I became a lifetime member is that I seen it as George stated. A money Saver as the yrs. progress. Also I don't know it the NTA still does it but when I did it they would take payments over I think it was a 3 month period for a lifetime membership. This would help as some people don't have all the funds at once.

17. onesportylady

onesportylady Member

I ditto hiring George. Also like the idea of membership renewal 12 months. Not jan At the end of the year most people would wait the few months and join in Jan.

18. Aint noone being hired until everything is straightened out.

19. George

Guys, the NTA is in good hands. I'd love to be involved, but Connie has been diagnosed with Alzheimers and lung cancer has returned. I have more on my plate of bigger importance right now, but thank you for the trust.

20. mike g

mike g Active Member

You would have been a great choice George. My thoughts and prayers are with you.