1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cetacean mounts?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by ElephasMaximus, May 21, 2013.

1. There are too few cetacean mounts!
    The only existing whale mount is thought to be a blue whale in Gothenburg natural history museum.
    But it's ages old and is made piece-by-piece.
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/290bcce0c653b4c2691e568450840b6d/tumblr_mfgmnxVgMG1r4wpt9o1_1280.jpg

Here's a pic of a whale skin being prepared in Chicago Field museum, but it seems there's no whale mounts now (just models only).
    Maybe it was destroyed.
    http://tmblr.co/Zhb--skzR8x1

Any more info on whale taxidermy?

[​IMG]

2. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    The Field Museum photo is of a Shark ... possibly a Whale Shark ... but, not a Whale. ;)

Whales Porpoises, and Dolphins do not really skin out well ... not for Taxidermy purposes. Reproductions were long ago discovered to be the best way to preserve these Leviathans!

I have seen Shark and Dolphin skin mounts at the Vanderbilt Museum, and believe me ... with the skin shrinkage and terrible skin cracking and splitting evident in those mounts ... reproductions are the best way to go!

Why not so many mounts done? Expense!

The American Museum of Natural History in New York City, has some of the best Cetacean mounts in the world! These days the cost of producing these mounts/reproductions would be prohibitive.

Blue Whale
    [​IMG]

Giant Squid and Sperm Whale
    [​IMG]

Orca
    [​IMG]

Common Dolphin and Tuna
    [​IMG]

Tiger Shark
    [​IMG]

Manatee
    [​IMG]

3. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

The mounts John posted need to be seen in person to be believed. However, having recently spent a day at the museum, I hate to say it but that ocean hall really needs a refurbishment and deep cleaning. The fish mounts especially could use some new paint jobs.

4. Well... let's say that cetaceans are the most unmountable vertebrates! :)
    About the 'whale' skin pic: i suspected it to be a shark... its description just said 'whale'.
    I found a pic of dolphin & porpoise skin mounts (Nature museum in Kharkiv, Ukraine), made in 20th century.
    With whales, the difficulties are obvious. But a small dolphin mount of good quality is still possible.
    After all, pachyderms are shrinking & cracking too (and also come as reproductions).
    [​IMG]

5. [​IMG]
    Dolphin mount from St. Petersburg Zoology museum, Russia

Wildthings likes this.
  6. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Yeah I got this blue whale I need to have fleshed. That would be interesting. I imagine a walrus would be bad enough.