1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tips on mounting a hen turkey decoy?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by skinner26, May 22, 2013.

1. skinner26

skinner26 Active Member

My father has some pin raised turkeys and he had a hen die this weekend. I am thanking mounting it for a hen decoy can any one give me any tips one what to do?

Thanks

2. vincer

vincer New Member

I've made some hen turkey decoys.What I did was skin them out like a pheasant.Since they were decoys there was no need for a plastic head.What I did was skin out the real head ,cleaned the skull good added clay to the eye sockets and borax and inverted the head back through. I ran 8 gauge wire through the legs leaving 9 in.of wire sticking out past the heal of the foot to put into the ground. Hope this helps. And they do work great

Attached Files:

3. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

Look on the whats on my workbench thread at pages 198 and 199. You will see my process. Cheap and easy...and very sturdy..Advice don't do an alert pose...DC

4. skinner26

skinner26 Active Member

Thanks

5. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I mounted up a hen and jake this year. I put them outside my shop about 15 yards away to see what they looked like. I got sidelined doing something and forgot about them. About 45 minutes latter my lab was looking outside with his ears perked up. These toms had come in and were beating up my jake. I went outside and yelled at them to get. They wouldn't leave.
    I took them hunting and had a Tom come in and mount the hen until she fell over which really excited him. He then went over and beat in the jake decoy for about 20 minutes until he got so tired he laid down.
    [​IMG]

6. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

i did one recently. I used a plastic head which was fine and will do the next one that way. I did the feet just like a mount. Next one will get "leg spikes" that are connected with a cross bar to step on to stick it into the ground. I built a metal stand with adjustable spikes, which works but is overkill.

I did give away an old strutter to a guide friend of mine. He says it is dynamite on bird dominant birds. He is on private land so getting shot instead an issue.

Good Luck.

7. TRKYHTR

TRKYHTR New Member

I do a few decoys every year. I run a 1/4" wire up the leg and into the body so that it's sticking out of the heel 4" long and I sharpen it a little so it will go into the ground. Nothing better than a stuffer on turkeys.

TRKYHTR