1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

EYE ROTATION: A ? for the deer guys....

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by redog76, May 23, 2013.

1. redog76

redog76 New Member

When you rotate your eyes, what is the "correct" amount of white to show in the back side eye? In all my reference, all I can see is the white in the inside eye.

From what I conclude, there never seems to be as much white showing in the back side eye.

How would a Judge hit something like this?

Anyone that owns pet deer could probably answer this question quick.

So right here, how much white is showing in the back of his right eye?
    [​IMG]

On this deer, what would you show on the backside?
    [​IMG]

I really appreciate any knowledge y'all can share.

2. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

They can show it on the back.

Attached Files:

3. redog76

redog76 New Member

That is extreme though. That actually looks like the meat not the sclare.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

There is no set in stone answer to your question, unless you ask a deer what he/she prefers. But a judge may want to see it balanced from front to back, and opposite match on the other. So you should be asking a judge, or only judges should reply, so I will shut up.

5. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, its not that easy as a "one size fits all" answer. Its not equal to the other side, either, because the eye is not round, even though many guys teach that.

The best answer I can give is, use an accurately shaped and detailed eye, with the correct iris shape and sclera, and when you set and rotate them, make sure theyre focused, and set in unison to each other. Place the eyelids correctly from that, and...where ever the sclera or white is, that would be correct for that amount of rotation.

6. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Somebody better call George. I see pink in that deer's ears, and we all know deer have white ears.

7. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Not sure, what is a sclare?

8. Huntman

Huntman Guest

best in the world?, Immortalizer?" High ceilings? Custom SUPER full sneak!!"

"Who likes the eye rotation in their deer mounts?" and you need to ask that question. just yesterday you posted this on your facebook.
    Custom bird bases. LMAO.right from Mckensie! you acted just as arrogant and better than when we talked at the world show. step back, and learn you are not as good as you think you are

9. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

Another

Attached Files:

10. Riverland

Riverland New Member

I would like to see the pingpong ball trick work for the first pic. I like the brisket on the second deer also.

11. Dan

Dan One Year Old Already!

Wow Huntman! Get your panties jammed up your arse this morning? Lay off. You probably spent a couple minutes with CJ and now you want to talk s$!; like that? Get to know someone before pulling crap like that.

12. sportsmans dream

sportsmans dream New Member

Ohio
    Position the deer the way it's gonna be on your base or on the wall while it's still on your stand get the angles on the head the way you want then stand where you want the deer to be focusing. Now go back and forth adjusting the pupils until they are both focusing on that spot. Then lock them in right there and model them using calipers to make sure they are the same and where ever the white shows sould be right. So pretty much what bill said. Hope that helps.

13. BennerE

BennerE New Member

Huntsman must be one of these part timer know it alls.... If your going to make money in this business you get crap done and get it out the door and sometimes that means using premade bases....I work everyday with probably one of the most well known taxidermist in the united states and he still learns new things all the time... That's what makes this job so interesting, your never done learning

14. Matt

Matt Active Member

T is right, there is no correct set amount of "white" showing. It will all depend on attitude/expression you are after. I rotate the eyes on almost every one I mount, but they are never the same. If you ever get a chance to spend some time in a pen with some wts, do it. You will see things you never thought possible!(LOL) Best reference in the world hands down.

15. redog76

redog76 New Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the info. I can really only see so much through my binoculars at 20 yards! I need some pets Matt!

16. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Tim, lighten up. That's NOT a big northern tier November deer. It don't got hair!

I liked Bill's answer. One size never fits all. I've been close up and personal in a rutted fight. It looked as if their eyeballs were falling out of their heads.

17. double barrel

double barrel New Member

I've been close up and personal in a rutted fight. It looked as if their eyeballs were falling out of their heads. George what did you say to that deer to piss him off like that? LOL!

18. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Find my website and read about "Willow"

19. double barrel

double barrel New Member

George I've been on your site and now I do remember reading about Willow. I can't remember what happened though, I'll go back and read it again, it's been awhile. I was just picking at you.

There is a man about 5 miles from me who had a buck and a doe. He had the buck since it was 2 weeks old, I think he said. He kept them in a pen behind his house. The buck was a 9 pt. at 220 lbs. He fed them apples and the doe was so spoiled it would only eat them if he brought them out sliced up on a platter. No joke, that's what he said.

One day his son said buck was acting kinda funny, I wouldn't get in the pen with him . He did anyway and the buck attacted him and about killed him. In the end the big necked deer had him on the ground and pinned down with his antlers. Every time he would struggle trying to get loose, the deer would grind more, keeping him pinned to the ground. He finally got the deer's head up enough , by the antlers , I guess, so his wife could get a shot off with the 22, right between the eyes, that was the only way he could get up. He had 19 puncture wounds in chest and abdomen, spent time in the hospital, it almost killed him. He thinks the buck might have seen his own reflection in the glass window on the slidding patio door.

20. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

No, I dont think the guy was thinking at all. I raised them for 30 years, and still am amazed at the ignorance of people. I certainly know how foolish I was to ever take any chances I did. I at least feel better knowing that a few of the serious situations I got myself in were at least calculated risks when there was basically no other way around a situation.