1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skeleton of the week 19

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Jean-Christophe, May 23, 2013.

1. 19th "Skeleton(s) of the week" if I'm not mistaken.
    I finished a guinea pig some weeks ago and I just finished a swift.
    Maybe other people have something to show ?

Attached Files:

2. guinea pig skeleton second view

Attached Files:

3. Now the swift. See my hand as size reference...

Attached Files:

4. Apus apus

Attached Files:

5. Apus apus

Attached Files:

6. Apus apus

Attached Files:

7. Apus apus

Attached Files:

8. Wouter

Wouter Member

Great skeletons JC, funny how the nails of one foot of the guinea pig has black nails while the others are white, must have been a bicoloured animal.
    I already told you I like your swift a lot, what kind of support do you use, under the sternum, the pelvis or does it hang from a wire.
    I should take pictures of my last two bird skeletons to share, may do so tomorrow.

Wouter

9. The swift is simply amazing!
    How old it was? Young birds are highly cartilaginous, quite hard to articulate.
    The holes in sternum were from the beginning, or it's the beetles chewed through?

10. I was going to ask this in a separate post but I might as well ask here. How are small birds like that done? I have successfully done a ligament mount on a weasel and it was quite easy, nothing fell apart except for the legs and head obviously so it was a simple matter to position it and super glue it in place. Does a bird skeleton work much the same way or are there different techniques or processes used? Up to what size is ligament mounting done and when do you have to start using wires?
    Thanks,
    Greg

11. Thanks for the comments !
    Yes, this guinea pig was dark brown and white, I've known her very well.
    For now I use nothing to support the swift, it's just in a transparent plastic box. If I had a stand and case for it, I would hang it by the pelvis on a wire I think.
    Great if I push you to show your skeletons, I think I will not be the only person pleased of it.

I don't have beetles, I macerated it. I think the holes were pre-existant and that H2O2 made them bigger. I don't know for the age. The skull fell in more parts than bird skull usually do, but the "uncinate process" of ribs were well fused. Thus maybe not fully mature skeleton or a bad diet, I don't know.

The smaller animals are, the more beetles are preferable. In this case I macerated, but beetles would have been a better option. Birds have few bones, so if you can handle them, identify them, then you may be able to reassemble the skeleton.
    In the MNHN in Paris I've seen ligamentary skeletons of cassowary, horse, young hippopotamus, young elephant... Except large whale I think anything can potentially be done as a ligament mount. The main problem will be how to degrease such skeletons without an extremely long degreasing time bad for the remaining tissues, drilling some holes in the larger bones... To stuck more to the reality and effectiveness, I think you really have to use wire from something beaver/dog size. Hope you will get other thoughts on this.

12. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

As always. Amazing. :)

13. Muncher

Muncher Member

Fantastic skeletons Jean-Christophe. I love the position of the swift. I've been thinking that I'd quite like to do a "flying" bird, to give a bit of variety to the collection.
    My wife used to keep guinea pigs, and we've got about five of them buried under the lawn in the garden. The last one died around five years ago, so I guess trying to exhume it, there probably wouldn't be too much left by now. She was asking me a couple of months ago if it would be possible. What do you reckon?

14. Thanks again :)
    Muncher, yes I think it worth to try to get them. They should be bones now. The problem would be that I'm almost sure you will not find all the small bones, but for skulls it should be ok. You probably have other rodent skulls or rabbits but guinea pig skull is quite different of them.

15. Orkman-X

Orkman-X New Member

hey Jean-Christophe

awesome work man, congratulations!!!

since you don't have beetles, you macerated that guinea pig competely?

on the swift, all toes point forward, I didn't know that but I never held a dead swift. It's different than other birds in that way I guess.

keep up the good work, always nice to see it.

marc

16. Thanks Marc !
    No, I scraped the hands and feet of my guinea pig.
    Yes, cormorants are a bit like this also. See the third pic for swift feet here :
    http://www.davidnorman.org.uk/MRG/2005%20round-up.htm
    This is what I used as reference pic for that point plus my own pics. I will tell more in the email.