1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

When is it to late? Or is it..

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by RICKP, May 23, 2013.

1. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

Question is,
    When you have an old mount that looks good in every way other then,, say an eye or ear. Is there a chance to fix an issue even on old mounts.
    I have had to rehydrate places on my own stuff because it might have dried funny or I just didn't like a look but, those are usually ones that are only a couple of days into drying.
    I have one that looks real nice but the eye's and they want the eye's redone. Not sure how old the mount is but it does look to be fairly recent.

2. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

it all depends on the tan used.....I have soaked up heads that have been mounted for years and was able to redo them...but, I have had some that just wouldn't work out

3. Try a small area first.

4. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

One of my concerns is the clay around the eye. Am I gonna have to try and remove all that and re-clay the eye?
    What kind of possible problems could I run into?

5. Riverland

Riverland New Member

If its not one of yours it can be a crapshoot what is under the skin. If they set the eyes in epoxy you could be SOL. I've soaked up a lot if different stuff I did not do. Most all you van seperate the skin from whatever is underneath and reclay or glue them.