1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Advice for keeping cats away from Taxidermy

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by drstephers, May 26, 2013.

1. drstephers

drstephers New Member

Hello!

I am going to receive my first ever taxidermy in the mail in a few days. However, I have 2 cats, and I'm worried they are going to destroy my expensive piece. Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to keep a cat from chewing, scratching, or destroying a piece of taxidermy?

Thanks

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

A shotgun.

3. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

X .22

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I have two cats that stay in my shop. There are 11 more out in the yard. The inside ones are spoiled to Science Diet cat food and don't hurt anything. They will catch a rodent outside, kill it, and bring it to me. I know a few taxidermists who cannot keep anything in their shop because of rats and mice. I have never seen a rat or mouse in my shop or home.

5. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

George slays me, that's exactly what I was thinking ;D

6. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

God created cats to train coon hounds !

7. ELMER GANTRY

ELMER GANTRY **THE DISTANCE OF GOOSE**

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuwRzxdVK-s

This video will explain how to keep Muffin and Precious at bay from your piece of taxidermy. ;) Works for me.

8. lizardguts

lizardguts skull collector

You could put together a display case, that would be a surefire way of keeping it safe. Other than that, for a non-wall mount I can't really think of any other way to keep them away from it besides keeping it in a closed room...cats manage to get into everything

9. drstephers

drstephers New Member

Thanks joeym and lizardguts, for your serious replies!

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

There wasn't a single word in my response that wasn't "serious". The only reason God created cats was to provide moving targets for shotgunners.

11. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Cats will do everything possible to destroy taxidermy - especially small mammal or bird mounts. After all, it's one of the best cat toys ever devised.
    Game heads on the wall can become handy perches/scratching posts, and fur rugs on the floor become places to pee.

Either put it inside a sturdy glass case or hang it from the ceiling (and NOT close to a wall!)
    Or get rid of the cats.

12. I am lucky because our older cat is terrified of taxidermy. If you go after him with a wallhanger or small mount, he runs under the bed for hours. The other one was a cat that we got as a tiny kitten. I screamed Loudly at her when she tried to go after some feathers I had on a low shelf. She does not touch anything now even if it is at a level that she can reach it at. I am just lucky; some cats are just completely aloof to any sort of attempt at training. Oh; don't get feathery or furry toys for them either; that encourages them to go after feathers n fur!

13. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

Dont hold back George. tell us what you really think . LOL ;D ;D

14. xWolfHauntx

xWolfHauntx New Member

PA
    My cat ignores my taxidermy, actually he cuddled up and napped with my fox mount before. Lol but other than that he doesn't really touch it save for the few times he made if with a new fox tail, but once he inspects it he leaves it be after that.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

15. divz

divz New Member

My cat loves all the small animals I work in (squirrels, English sparrows, pesky starlings) so I keep them in display cases or under glass domes-the only way he won't get to them! Like another comment said -they're pretty much "cat toys".
    I heard somewhere that cats hate citrus scents? I don't know how it would work for a mount, but for other things-maybe putting dried citrus scented potpourri or whatever near the thing you're trying to keep him from? Or put it so high up and away from any possible access/wall so he can't reach them? Good luck!

16. Michael Shipman

Michael Shipman Killen Merriams in SD

Now George a 22 works just as well lol

17. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

a snare would probably be less messy

not speaking from experience or anything : )

18. Lizardfeathers

Lizardfeathers Thank you for teaching me through your works...

I don't have any experience with cats and taxidermy, but you need to train the cat to hate taxidermy as much as possible. When I had a cat, he would get on the kitchen counters and lick the can-opener. So I bought a blowgun and shot him until he got down. And no, I didn't use the darts with the needles on them (although sometimes I wish I had ;D). The best thing to do is get a case for the mount if it is on the smaller size. You may just have to keep the cat out of the room that the mount is in. Hope it works out for your cat and congrats on your first piece of taxidermy (careful they are like potato chips, you cant have just one ;)).

19. copper

copper Active Member

no cat lover here,hatem actually,but none of my wifes 4 cats have ever touched any of my bird mounts,deer heads or fish. May be luck, but I still kickem every chance I get

20. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Cats are very trainable. Get a squirt gun and fill with vinegar and water. Squirt everytime the cat gets close or looks interested. Also fill a coke can with a few pennies. Shake it at the cat after you squirt. If it's a large piece, the cat will more than likely ignore it, especially if it's on the wall. If it's a pedestal, or a small mount--especially a bird--you may also want to just put it out of reach. Keep in mind cats can jump very far. We had cats for a long time. They never messed with our birds. They seem to be attracted to movement and a mount doesn't move. Still, take precautions.