1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Goose wiring, what size?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Hogslayer6, May 26, 2013.

1. Hogslayer6

Hogslayer6 New Member

Well i am through skinning fleshing and degreasing and on to drying and soon wiring legs and wings. My question is what size wires do you guys use for legs, wings, neck,etc ... for a greater canada?

2. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

The last one I did, I used (2) 10ga copper wires twisted together for the neck and its a little bobbly..
    So go heavy as you can lol.

3. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

When you say "greater" I am assuming you mean one that's well over 10 lbs, so

Standing: 8ga in the legs if it's standing on both feet. 9ga in the neck. 11ga black wire in the wings.
    Flying: 9ga in the neck and wings. 10ga or 11ga regular wire in the legs. (not the black wire)

Standing on one foot .... not for beginners. (6 GA minimum, or steel rod)

I use a wrapped neck with quite a bit of caulk so it adds quite a bit of stiffness when it dries. If you use a weaker neck then you should probably up it to 8ga or use 2 wires.

4. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Sent from my AT100 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

5. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

unrelated to your question about wire size but very pertinent if you are looking to do a standing mount on one foot

I have posted a bunch of photos (different angles) of a Canada goose standing on one foot in the photo reference section.
    They will help you down the right path for what it should look like.

6. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

There is a wire size chart in the Van Dykes catalog as well that recommends what size wire to use for various species and poses. Very helpful.