1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What the....

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Andrew L., May 26, 2013.

1. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member

I mounted a deer a few days ago and today I noticed mold was growing on the nose, lip line, and around the eyes. What in the world is going on! I haven't mounted that many deer, but out of all the ones I have mounted, I've never seen this. What could I have done wrong? What should I do to get rid of it?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

2. FeatherHorn

FeatherHorn New Member

Did you bag it? I had that happen once when I left the bag on too long

3. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

No air moving/moisture=mold.

4. Put a fan on it to speed drying. Then clean off the mold. Being here in FL with high humidity mold will grow on anything that stays wet very long. I never bag anything unless necessary. Make sure your hide is not soaking wet when mounting, roll in a towel to remove all excess moisture beforehand.

5. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member

Thanks so much for the quick responses! I was freaking out! Lol. Yes, I had it bagged a couple days, and its getting into summer and the humidity is bad.

Dennis, that's what I'll do. Yeah, i do soak up as much moister as i can in a towel before mounting. I must have bagged it too long. Thanks again!

6. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

I also use a shop vac to blow dry the hair and fur on all my mounts before mounting. I run fans and a Dehumidifier 24/7 in the shop.
    Lysol in the spry can will work to clean it up.

7. roonie

roonie Member

Andrew...there is this product up here in Canada and sold at Home Depot called Concrobium. It is a spray specifically for mold. They say its so harmless that a person could drink it.
    I have never used it on a cape (or drank it) but i would think it would clean up that mold.

8. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member

Jake, I usually blow dry the hair after I've mounted. Im definitely going to start running a dehumidifier this summer.

Roonie, I'll have to see if we have some of that stuff.

9. jake7719

Blow dry with cool air !

10. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member

Sorry, I didn't mean that I use a blow dryer. I use an air compressor to blow it dry.

11. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

don't use a compressor they always have some junk in the tank, water maybe some oil etc. use a leaf blower

12. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member

13. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

I tumble mine for about thirty minutes before I mount them

14. Kydeerhunter03

Kydeerhunter03 Member

I just had this happen to me as well! First time out of many many deer this has happened....glad to see its happened to others too haha

15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Jerry, you're supposed to open the petcock at the bottom of the tank once a month to drain that stuff off. All my shop air goes through a filter and dehydrator to protect my air brushes.

16. jake7719

Moister trap on your air supply is a MUST for any air brush.

17. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I, too, just had this happen to me for the first time only it was in the inner ears. The fan trick worked great.

18. dablaw

dablaw Member

I just go over to the wall and turn the programmable thermostat down...lol..I know I'm a smart butt..All kidding aside the new central H/A unit that was put in when I built my shop has alot more hidden benifits to it than I realized...A shop that stays between 65-75 degrees will not have many moisture issues in airlines, air circulation problems, or a list of other issues.. I do have a double moisture trap/filter/oiler combos in a row before my manifold for the air...I really havent noticed much moisture when I drain the petcock or the traps though..

19. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member

I too, am glad I'm not the only one thats had this problem. ;)

Im going to have to get one of those filters for my air.