1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Getting feathers back together

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Wildwingstaxidermy, May 27, 2013.

1. I am trying to get into the competition ring so I have a few points of which I would like to improve. One of which is getting feathers to zip back together. I don't usually have tons of issues with this except one area. I seem to have most issues getting the speculum area to zip back together. Since this is usually a visual hotspot I would really like to get them looking good. What ways do you guys seem to have luck with. It seems sometimes that they just don't want to go together particularly on birds that were really fatty and I had to do ALOT of washing to get clean.

Thanks,

Brent.

2. It sounds to me like you still have soap residue in your feathers after your wash. Nancy C has a excellent tutorial on washing birds. She stresses rinsing your skins thoroughly to get all the soap out or you can have the problem that you describe . I had the same problem until I took her advice and have not had a problem since.

3. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

use a lot of borax to soak up grease and keep feathers dry while wheeling...if you dont get oil on feathers in the first place you dont have to worry about cleaning it out.......and thourough washing.rinsing and a lot of air blowing

4. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

So I have a question ....If the feather is dry seems like the oil would soak up more readily when wheeling., than if the feathers are wet from a prewash.

You can also try a soak for a little bit as your last rinse. You will be surprised what soap comes out in 5 minutes.

5. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

seems like it...but doesnt....the borax soaks up the grease and keeps and falls away ....like you would use sawdust on your garage floor for an oil spill....and keeps your hands cleaner...which is a big grease transer to feathers...that and a coating of borax on box will help wingtips from getting greasy....in other words keep grease,oil off of feathers...learned from 2 world master of masters in birds......keep em dry/oil free........some birds I wheel could be mounted without washing but for blood and dust should I choose....but I wash em all...

6. Lizardfeathers

Lizardfeathers Thank you for teaching me through your works...

I have used Wolfgang's method of compressed air to get the feathers in there natural places. After washing the skin, I hit it with a hair dryer, then mount, then compressed air. Then I go through the most visible feathers and hand "zip" them together. I am still a beginner, so I haven't had much trial and error time yet. Hope it helps!