1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

what is this called?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by grygon, May 29, 2013.

1. I have been searching a while now and am wits end, i just can't remember the term. What is it called when you have a skull or skeleton and build the body/muscles/tendons/etc. on half of it?

2. lizardguts

lizardguts skull collector

It's ecorche isn't it? Saw a couple of those on eBay before. If you type "ecorche coyote skull" into google it'll bring up one of them

3. Sivart

Sivart New Member

From the Pittsburgh Natural History Museum

Attached Files:

4. Sivart

Sivart New Member

more...

Attached Files:

5. Sivart

Sivart New Member

last one

Attached Files:

6. PA

PA Well-Known Member

Those images are not what I believe Grygon was inquiring about. The skeleton mounting, and half-shell reconstruction of these Pleistocene animals, were done by Harold Clement, a talented preparator/taxidermist in the years 1949-1952 at the Carnegie Museum. You did not show the Bison.

7. Kendall

Kendall Active Member

There is this book- http://www.amazon.com/Fragonard-Museum-Ecorches-Christophe-Degueurce/dp/092223339X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370016892&sr=1-2&keywords=ecorche,
    although these are more similar to Gunther von Hagens' plastinations.
    Kendall

8. Yes! Ecorche is what I was looking for. And thanks for the images and book link, I like that style of them more than the flat-backed ones. Though I bet they are harder to sculpt.