1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fast scale tipping

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by [email protected], May 30, 2013.

1. rd@nt

[email protected] New Member

Another tip When scale tipping Go to a office place buy some thin mylar clear. Take a fish lay Mylar over fish cut in small areas trace the scales where you want the colors. Like the fish has. Take a dermal the size you want cut out. Now put over fish and spray thew the small stencil you made on your dried fish. Wala you will have a great scale tipping looks a lot better and faster than by hand. The best advice I can give is take some time and experiment. When you get an idea try to figure it out. That will be your greatest teacher. That's how we all can help each other. That's how my son and I did the Atlantic's And the judges did not know they were mine. The fish judges.Randy D.

2. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

Doesn't a Dremel bit just make tiny round holes in the mylar? Ron Reynolds had a similar procedure in his replica painting book. He used plastic canvas (Used for needlepoint) that had very fine ROUND holes in it. I tried that and if i could have found a way to keep the plastic down on the skin while airbrushing the results would have been impressive. However, trying to hold down the flat plastic canvas on the curved surface of the fish while airbrushing was an exercise in frustration.

3. rd@nt

[email protected] New Member

There are lots of different sizes of bits. Just try some at different angles. How you hold the tool also. cut the Mylar in different sizes say from an inch by 2inches and so on. no bigger than say2 by 4 inches and move it along or have say 8 different pieces for a 10 inch fish like a puzzle just use your head and practice some. You will be impressed eventually Randy D.

4. j.mik.

j.mik. Member

Nice idea. Thanks for sharing