1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Anyone try this on a fish?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by 1fish2fish, May 30, 2013.

1. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,203734.0.html

This is the simple stump mold Tutorial that was posted not too long ago in the molding and casting section. I was curious if anyone has tried something like this on fish. I've never used foam as a mother mold for fish, are there any conceptual issues with it? Seems to me a fast setting rigid foam would be an easy and economical support layer to a good pourable silicone.

Best, Scott

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I have with.........

I molded a 14 inch red ear sunfish with GI 1100. Just poured it thick after the first thin coat. 2 part mold. Then used IE 3030 to make the cast.

:)

Kerby...

[​IMG]

3. 1fish2fish

Thanks Kerby. I've actually got a copy of your article in Breakthrough. I was really looking to see if anyone is using foam support jackets for their silicone molds, but I just found an article by Peter Ocello in Taxidermy Today where he does a SMB this way using 2045.

I've got to ask, for big fish (say 30-40in) are you reinforcing the IE3030. I've never used it, but looking at the tech specs it seems really strong.

Best, Scott

4. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

IE 3030.....

IE 3030 is really strong. But you could reinforce with fiberglass cloth strips once the first coat is done on a really big fish.

Kerby...

5. 1fish2fish

Thanks Kerby. I've got a King to do as a father's day gift, and it's getting special attention. No bondo, a good silicone and good casting materials. I'm not an expert on this like you guys, so all the tips are appreciated. This King is 40" and just about 30lbs, so it's much bigger than anything I've tried.
    Best, Scott