1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turkey of the Month June 2013

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by brettdef, Jun 2, 2013.

1. brettdef

brettdef Member

Thanks to all that posted in May. Turkey season has come to an end for the most part and its time now to get started with the work. It has been very busy here the last couple of months and we have taken in more local birds than normal this year. Is it just me or was it a strange turkey season this year? I thought at first it was going to be great timing for the season to begin after a really bad year last year and everything being so far ahead of schedule. I was shocked to hear from so many people this year that the birds never really got started good. I only hunted the first week or so of the season this year and I thought it was great. I also did not travel anywhere this year like I have in the past. I have talked to many of you on the phone and it sounds the same everywhere? What happened this year to make it different? Any input on this would be great. There are always a few people that kill birds no matter what the conditions are but this year for some reason even those persons seem to have struggled. If anyone has a good answer for this let us know. I would also like to congratulate all those that did well at the world show with turkeys. I don't have pictures of the birds that won but I am sure they will be posted here somewhere and if any of you have some pictures please post them. Steve Young , Harry Whitehead and Dennis Wessner Took 1st 2nd and 3rd in the world and there were several others that had good turkeys as well. It was nice to see so many turkeys at the show. Any of you that get a chance to go to the worlds in the future you really need to go. It is so amazing to see the level of talent that is displayed there. Well lets get started. If you can please post a picture of your work this month. It is great to see all of the turkeys you guys are putting together and to see some of you improve from one post to another.

If I can help in anyway please give me a call or pm.

Brett D

2. spurhunter

spurhunter Active Member

SC
    I'm bold enough to comment on the hunting part, pardon if it offends.
    I predicted back in early March, and it proved out, that run and gunners would have a hard time this season in SC due to the "late" spring that was shaping up here. Hens would be with gobblers opening weeks and beyond well on into the season. We've had mostly "early" springs here the last few years and lots of hunters have simply been spoiled with mouthy lonely gobblers because of it. A "normal" spring here always has henned up toms the first week, ramps up a little the second week and is hot as a fire cracker around the third week.

As for myself, I had a great spring with plenty of gobbling. I just did the usual and hunted slow, patiently and then, only where there was sign. You can't kill them where they ain't and IMO that's where most turkey hunters here make their first mistake.

I've kept a journal for over 20 years and because of it have seen definite patterns develop with turkey hunting. If nothing else, the lower success rates will hopefully contribute to higher tom turkey densities for you fellas next spring.

3. yvonnecct

yvonnecct New Member

bad boy body #2

tnx yvonne

Attached Files:

4. dale65

dale65 Active Member

Nice bird that was kill here in Alabama this year

Attached Files:

5. turkeyshooter

turkeyshooter Member

Someone shoot him!
    That is so good he looks alive to me. Great paint job on the head as well!

6. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Here's mine

Attached Files:

• 1tom.jpg
      1tom.jpg
      File size:
      104.2 KB
      Views:
  7. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

You nailed it, Paul!!

8. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

I hope not, he's my breeder tom. He is the one that is supposed to do the nailing,lol.

PB

9. ElkinsTaxidermy

Touche`

10. Lmao!! Good one ;D

11. spurhunter

spurhunter Active Member

SC
    Well since I got this thing way off track let me make a feeble rookie attempt to get it started back in the right direction. A 2013 season triple fan mount I am working on for my 74 year old Dad, one of his best public land seasons in a long time. Still got a little drying time to go on the wings but should have the rest of the work done by weeks end, mounting frame, beards, spurs hanging from shotgun brass. The sign was from a fallen tree 15+ years ago, thought it fitting and unique.
    [​IMG]

12. nice work

13. spurhunter

spurhunter Active Member

SC
    Finished this eve. Should have waited a few days and just posted this one.
    [​IMG]

14. ElkinsTaxidermy

One of (if not THE) the nicest jobs on a wing display, that I've seen! EXCELLENT job!!

15. Adam Edwards

Adam Edwards Member

Utah
    Very unique and a very smooth job spurhunter!

16. MIKEO-PA

MIKEO-PA Mike and Jen Olszanowski, pa

wing mount is awesome!

17. spurhunter

spurhunter Active Member

SC
    Thank you all for the compliments. I understand wings and fans are child's play compared to full mounts but us rookies gotta start somewhere. :)
    Thanks for all the info given on this site.