1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Breast mount turkey (critique please)

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by TaxiMan12, Jun 2, 2013.

1. TaxiMan12

TaxiMan12 New Member

Finished up several days ago, and other than the beard needing some work and some final grooming, its done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

Are you planning to paint the feet?

3. TaxiMan12

TaxiMan12 New Member

The feet were already naturally a darker color, but yes I do plan to brighten them up a bit.

4. wings II

wings II New Member

In regards to your broken tail feather on the viewer's right: A tip for future wing and tail setting that can give you a nicer finished look-
    1) remove (by pulling out) the broken feather during the washing process and replace with a new one.

If that's not possible
    2) "Cheat" the damaged tail feather closed so it doesn't show.
    Hope this helps :)

5. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

I do quite a few of these every season and I have found that most clients like the head angled one way or the other instead of straight on. Another thing I do on mine, where your bottom breast feathers are going out in opposite directions, I connect them like they would naturally be on a live bird (somewhat). Basicly the bottom of the bird will be more rounded. I agree the legs need to be painted whether they were naturally that color or not because without paint they will fade with time. Did you inject the feet ? Master's Blend goes a long way with making the legs and feet look naturally plump once they dry out.

All this being said i know that the first one of two of anything is a "guessing game" so you did a pretty good job for a first whith dealing with a half of turkey. :)

6. Adam Edwards

Adam Edwards Member

Utah
    Something that i noticed that is really bugging me, is that it is not centered on your plaque maybe you can still fix that.

7. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

i'm just not a fan of the crossed legs

8. TaxiMan12

TaxiMan12 New Member

Thanks everybody for your input. :) its appreciated

9. turkeyshooter

turkeyshooter Member

By the way for a 1st Breast Mount it still looks pretty darn good!