1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

1st Deer (please critique)

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by TaxiMan12, Jun 2, 2013.

1. TaxiMan12

TaxiMan12 New Member

:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. When you look at these pictures, what do you see? Get a pic of a doe and compare pictures, then you will see what needs to be changed.

3. cwt

cwt Active Member

Looks like my very first deer. Use referance. Dont use the wax for finish work use epoxy. Ears are too far back. Lip needs to be tucked more, nostrils are not correct shape and to much finish work around the eyes. Nose bad is too wrinkled put some clay on the form before you mount it to help give the soft look and baby sit the skin the whole time it is drying Which I assume is from shrinkage, which woul mean shave the skin thinner next time. Dont know if this is DP or tanned but always tann. I started with DP and moved to tanning real fast. Remember reference for shape and color is key for anything you do.

4. Harvestmoontaxi

Harvestmoontaxi Lake of the woods walleyes

Looks pretty good from behind the ears to the backboard. My first was very similar. Use quality reference-lots of good info in the tutorial section for beginers. Keep at it -you have more courage than most to post your 1st. Good luck.

5. TaxiMan12

TaxiMan12 New Member

Thanks for the input guys. its really appreciated :)

6. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

When you get ready to skin the deer out to mount it pay close attention to the way the big guy upstairs put it together. The nose pad has to be smooth and tight with no wrinkles the lip line has to be straight just like it was when you skinned it out. Those details are right in front of you make sure you use them. For the first it looks pretty good the main thing is don't give up and strive to make your next better than the last every time.