1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How Wide is Wide?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by double barrel, Jun 3, 2013.

1. 16" inside and up is wide here in FL for native deer.

2. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Took three here in California from the foothills(1400') that were from the same property that were 26-27 inches outside. That's pretty good for here but I Know there's bigger ones here.
    This one is pushing 30" that was hit by a car. Ended up in a landfill because of stupid state law that doesn't allow you to salvage anything.
    [​IMG]

3. double barrel

double barrel New Member

What a brute! DL, he looks mulish to me too. Splt G's, no brows, forefead coloration, long ears. 30", WOW! I'd be in jail for cutting the fence and sneaking in the landfill with a shouvel and a hacksaw. Shame to bury something like that. I'll bet someone driving a bulldozer confiscated that rack.

4. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

ya i shot it in 2006 i was still hunting but it was the opening day of dog season but no dogs on him just lucky never seen him prior to that morning

5. michael69

michael69 Active Member

What a monster!

6. newbie2008

newbie2008 New Member

I took a personal best in Ohio 4-5 years ago.....24 1/2" outside 17 pointer .

7. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Anything wider than 18 is out of the ordinary here. Annually, I'll get a couple in the 22-24 inch range...that's out of approximately 200 deer that I score annually. Most deer that I mount are 12-16 inch inside spread.

8. My personal widest.....about 22-23" inside spread. Scores around the 163" mark gross.

Anything over 20" is wide in my opinion!

[​IMG]

9. shammy

shammy New Member

21'' inside

10. I live in north central Florida, and like the other person from Florida said, 16in and up is wide. however, this past season we had to real nice bucks. The 10 point had a 20in inside spread. The 2nd buck was 25in. These were not taken in a high fence
    or close to any. in fact the 10 point was shot just right down from my house.

Attached Files:

11. 25in spread

Attached Files:

12. SWIFFY

SWIFFY Member

I cant imagine anywhere that a 20" whitetail is "common"? Im sure the more mature deer around, the more that are gonna go over that.

Ive seen very few true 20" inside bucks, but an aquaintance has one thats 27 2/8 inside. Just freakishly big, thats the best ive seen in my area.

13. Yeah Audra, we can get impressive deer here but could be much better if it weren't for the slack laws in this state. This is a buck taken just south of Jacksonville a couple years ago. He was not only wide but heavy as well for our native deer. 8 pt with a 25" inside spread weighing 180lbs, big mature FL buck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]