1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

channel cat fish painting Question

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by John, Jun 8, 2013.

1. John

John Member

Iowa
    ok guys they say that theres no such thing as a dumb question . I caught these 2 channel cat this morning they are 15" long an what . I want to do is make me a mold of them Just so . I can put them on the coffee table the question . I have is they are kinda yellowish green in color what color should . I apply first the yellow or Lt green/black green then the white or do I need to paint it all white first then add the other colors ?
    thanks for your help
    John

Attached Files:

2. Try using candy and bleeder paints. Also black is a harsh color to use on anything.

3. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

I would go with my lights to dark .

4. ryanstraw

ryanstraw my first brook trout on a fly 13"

I would try this. I am not a fish pro so these pros will correct me if I am wrong I am still learning myself but here it goes:

White primer on the whole fish
    White Pearl from the belly up about 1/3 of the fish and on the lower jaw of the fish
    Silver Pearl from the dorsal down to the white pearl blending in with the white pearl
    Pearl Ex Aztec Gold on the cheeks, gill cover, and add some on the body
    Pearl Ex Red Russet blushed on the fins some with more than others i.e. the adipose fin should get very little blushing and the caudal fin should be blushed heavily
    Seal in the powders
    Pearl Ex Interference Blue on the body
    Seal again
    Bright Yellow from the dorsal down to about the lower 1/3 of the fish fading slightly below
    Dark Bass Green over the bright yellow fading below and a bit heavy on the dorsal area
    Dark Bass Green over the dorsal, adipose, and caudal fins framing in all three fins and just a little bit on the anal, pelvic, and pec fins to tone them down a bit
    Dark Bass Green on the two large barbels heavily and lightly on the upper barbels
    Off White I would use this to blend in the fins some you can see some whitish blend leading into the fins
    Pearl Ex Carbon Black VERY LIGHTLY blush onto the lower barbels and lower jaw leading onto the cheek, gill cover, and upper jaw
    Take a charcoal stick and create the spotting
    Seal in the powders and charcoal

Again I am not a pro but it could Good luck! and good catch

-Ryan

5. Jillian@AnglersArtistry

[email protected] Working hard to make the world a fishy Place!

If you get taxidermy today or call them Rick had written a article on painting the Channel Cat step by step.