1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

50% peroxide

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by whitetail mike, Jun 8, 2013.

1. There a company advertising skull cleaning and whitening with 50% peroxide, My question is were do you get 50% peroxide at? I use BO and that is rated at 27%.

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

27% is already more than you need. 50% is approaching explosive.

3. That what I was thinking seawolf. the post is in the for sale section, it was posted today I believe.

4. CA Trapper

CA Trapper Member

They'll beetle clean, degrease, and whiten in 30 days. Their prices are intersting.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

5. Sea Wolf

Wish I had a bear head to send them. :) Though they do state "most skulls".

6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

50% peroxide is really too dangerous to work with outside an industrial environment. I've used it before. One of my customers, who owns a chemical company, gave me 5 gallons once. It is very corrosive, and if spilled on wood, such as a pallet, will ignite in a matter of time. I use 35% peroxide. It is not safe, but much safer.

7. WildlifeLady

WildlifeLady Member

Ohio
    I use 35 percent too, and still must be careful. Nasty stuff!

8. 30 days? don't think so.

9. I have some stuff that is used for treating bio-hazards. It will ignite wood as Joey says. I added some to a pot which had some skulls at 180F. got no reaction, so I added about half that much and suddenly had a tower of foam almost eight feet tall. then it collapsed, well it made a mess and 1/2 of the pot of water was gone, all over the floor. Lesson learned!!! But funny after the fact.

10. michael69

michael69 Active Member

Be very cautious with stuff

11. SubShock

SubShock New Member

We use 60% and we get ours from a hair salon supply, and it's really not as bad as everyone likes to make it seem. Granted if you aren't cautious around it it can burn the shit out of you, but so will 35%. But you get amazing results, quickly and reliably with very little deviation as long as proper procedure is taken.

12. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

Sorry, but I just wouldn't take the risk. BO works good enough for me.

13. SubShock, the 60 volume peroxide you are buying from the hair salon supply is only 18% hydrogen peroxide.

10 volume strength = 3% solution
    20 volume strength = 6% solution
    30 volume strength = 9% solution
    40 volume strength = 12% solution
    60 volume strength = 18% solution
    100 volume strength = 30% solution

14. lizardguts

lizardguts skull collector

Tell that to the guy whose shop almost burned down because there were tiny specks of rust in his peroxide container.

And agreeing with Alpinist, I have a hard time believing that a salon supply store would sell such an insane concentration

15. SubShock

SubShock New Member

I may have to check further onto exacts on where we get it I've only been given a general location, but we buy it 5-gallon buckets and it's crazy strong.

16. Sea Wolf

Yes it is. And what you have is 60 VOL .. if anything. More than likely it is 40 VOL as I have never seen 60 VOL for sale at a hair salon supply. VOL stands for Volume, not percent.

17. SubShock

SubShock New Member

Just got the look over of one of the barrels, my apologies we're only using 35% purchased from Syn-Co. I was given the wrong information, so yeah just on par with ya'll.