1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question For The Pro's

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by jevic035, Jun 8, 2013.

1. jevic035

jevic035 Member

hello everyone
    my question is what bird body do you pro's perfer ?
    also do you pro's use the real or fake head ? so any help would be great

thank you david

2. nate

nate Active Member

I'm no pro, but as far as bodies are concerned, I use whatever I can get my hands on. I use artificial heads as well. I use commercial heads too. I don't bother casting my own unless I have something unusual to do. Not that I cant. Guess I'm just lazy. LOL

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I've done less than a dozen birds so I'm no pro either. I prefer foam commercial bodies. If I can get one close to the size I need, I will just alter it. If not then I do a carcass cast. I need to get Snow hare's dvds and learn to wrap bodies. I've read a lot on wrapping but I learn better by watching. I can't follow written instruction, I need visual. I used real heads on some of the grouse and crow that I did and fake heads a on the pheasant and another crow. On the rest of the grouse I used artificial heads with real beaks. On the two turkeys I did, I used one freeze dried real head and on the other I used artificial head. From that I came to the conclusion that I prefer real freeze dried heads for turkeys, artificial head for pheasants and artificial head with real beak for grouse and real heads for the crows. I do know that most taxidermists prefer artificial heads for waterfowl for numerous reasons.

4. Ted

Ted Member

I like Tony Finazzo heads and bodies. The distance between the shoulders is too wide in most forms but not Tony's.

5. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Cory's heads and bodies

6. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

I like Cory Coruthers bodies as well as joe Ferebee or Stefan Savides and tony Finazzos. They will all work as long as you know the anatomy and alter them as needed. Most bodies will still need tweaking, but that comes with learning the anatomy. As far as heads go it is the same thing, all these guys produce good artificial heads.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. taxos

taxos Finches, Buntings

I Carve my own bodies, they always fit and never have to be altered. I always use the real skull!

8. I dont know how to mount ducks. :p :p :p

9. jevic035

jevic035 Member

good afternoon

flyway i think your full of it :p

thank you to you all for the reply

10. a good artificial or learn to wrap both work same as heads