1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fleshing a Red Fox - HELP NEEDED

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ALJ, Jun 8, 2013.

1. ALJ

ALJ New Member

I've skinned and started fleshing this fox to get ready to Krowtann. When I am scraping the hide, how much flesh should be taken off? See attached pictures. It seems I have went too far down to the hair follicles in some spots. It seems like I have to go down that far to get the layer of meat and fat off. Is this OK or have I gone too far? Should I leave the layer of meat and fat on the fox?

Attached Files:

2. dale65

dale65 Active Member

On a Fox it should not have that much meat on the skin is better to put it in the krowtann first then after three days are so neutralize the skin then flesh and it should be fine but done forget to put a cotton string though the tail if it not split are it will slip

3. LightsOut

LightsOut New Member

Just get the majority of the meat fleshed off, turn ear's, split lips, eye's and nose again flesh most of the meat after turning and splitting those areas.
    Then throw in Krowtann.

4. If you were doing a traditional pickle (citric acid or safetee acid) I would say to get it in there relatively quickly and then go about fleshing after it pickled for a few days. Split/turn before pickling of course. flesh after 2-3 days and then repickle for an extra day. The spots where the skin is dark look good; usually mine still has the membrane on when I pickle, which peels off in a layer with the help of a butter knife. Now I am not advising you about this case; just something for future reference if you go that route.

5. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Krowtann or a good pickle will penetrate the skin from the hair side as well as the meat side. The amount of meat you are showing will easily absorb the Krowtann and make it much easier to flesh without cutting holes. You are fleshed down to where you need to be on the dark areas. Definitely not shaved too deep