1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Potter's Clay...

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by 126whitetail, Jun 10, 2013.

1. For building the flesh on top of the skull cap, I know I can use bondo or paper mache, but I really don't care for either. Could I use potter's clay instead of critter clay, bondo or mache. Or would it shrink too much.

I would still use critter clay on the more crucial areas like the eyes.

2. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

potters clay will work fine

3. LightsOut

LightsOut New Member

I use potter's clay for the whole skull cap and ear butt's. With long haired deer you will not see any of the little shrinking from the clay.

4. That's what I was thinking, I just didn't want to learn anything the hard way. ;)

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Personally, I PREFER Bondo. I full the brain cavity as well as build the outside muscle and skin with it. HOWEVER, Potter's clay will work well. And contrary to popular belief, it's not the "shrinkage" that is troublesome. Potter's clay will sat about the same configuration. It CRACKS badly, however and that's the issue. Since Critter Clay is a bit expensive, even I save it for the eye work and the lips and nostrils if I need it. Before Critter Clay, all we had was Potter's clay.

6. Just curious George, before there was critter clay would the eyes done with potter's clay crack(because the clay underneath cracked) or would the clay underneath just crack and do no harm to the exterior?

7. Any ideas for softening potter's clay? I have always had it just crack apart in my hands when using it, like it does not stick together, and it was really hard to knead. I have not mounted any deer yet but am researching for it.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Go to the Dollar Store and buy a cheese grater. Grate your clay and spritz it with warm water as you grate about a cup full. Bag it in a plastic bag in your fridge overnight. If it needs more water, add it in the morning. If it's too wet, set it out with the top open until it's where you want it.

9. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

That's another reason to use Critter Clay. It will not separate when rolled as potters clay tends to do. Take a wet towel and wrap it around your brick of potters clay before bagging it. The clay will wick the moisture from the towel, and make it easier to roll and/or model.

X2 on a Bondo skull cap. The antlers have a much firmer foundation.