1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Post your ways to keep taxidermy fun and interesting!

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by PsychoJr, Jun 11, 2013.

1. PsychoJr

PsychoJr New Member

Here are two of my favorites:

1. Second amendment squirrel - he rushed out and bought himself an AK and has been picketing congress
    2. Party animals

Attached Files:

• SO.png
      SO.png
      File size:
      122.5 KB
      Views:
  2. PsychoJr

PsychoJr New Member

Second one

Attached Files:

• SQ.png
      SQ.png
      File size:
      110.9 KB
      Views:

3. verne

verne Well-Known Member

List them on E-bay they like that kinda stuff ::)

4. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

After mounting virtually ever animal from around the world for 42 years there is NO WAY to keep it fun and interesting...
    .....It's a real J O B , 8) 8)

5. Lizardfeathers

Lizardfeathers Thank you for teaching me through your works...

It may sound stupid, but sometimes make Santa hats for some of the taxidermy in my living room for Christmas. I'm not a big fan of the anthropomorphic squirels, but adding some humor couldn't hurt with some of the more common animals. ;D

6. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

By having another job! Makes taxidermy look a whole lot better.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Never take in any work other than your own. Especially don't take family and friends. Taxidermy "fun" vanishes the moment you have to deal with customers and deadlines, deadbeats and deal makers, those expecting you to fix their screwups, and those who whine about everything from cost to eyelash position.

8. tem

tem Well-Known Member

getting paid & putting up the close sign. :D

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Some kids that just play taxidermy and make cutesy stuff to post online for their friends to ooouuuu at, is not seeing the big picture. Doing taxidermy for a living is not fun after a while, having a mount turn out good is still satisfying, but seeing it go out the door is far more rewarding.

10. PsychoJr

PsychoJr New Member

I agree with most of the comments. Still fun for me since it's a hobby and I only do animals for myself. As soon as I had to make a living at it (and it would be a meager one) all the joy would be sucked away.

11. It either is for you, or isn't. If you have to make it so, it isn't.

12. WildlifeLady

WildlifeLady Member

Ohio
    It becomes a job like anything else. George is right. Do nothing for friends and family because they EXPECT u to do it for nothing. We have bills to pay too! I would waste time distorting the looks if an animal unless a customer paid me to do it.

13. dablaw

dablaw Member

I made it fun a few hours ago by running a 9 guage wire through the back of my thumb and out my index finger about 12 inches through...Oh what &%$#@%& fun....

14. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

The kids with the first deer or fish. The look on there face when they pick up there mount. That big smile makes up for any A holes that you get.

15. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

You got that right. After 30 years...

16. Wow, I think I feel sorry for most of yall. I been doing this for over 40 years and still love it. I haven't dealt with an *hole in years. Everyday is different! If I disliked it as much as some of yall go on, (I think I would find something else to do, no not think, I know I would). I surprise myself by saying this because I been doing taxidermy 8 to 14 hours a day 6 days a week (and 3 or 4 hours on Sundays) since last Oct. Most days when I take a break I get on taxi-net for entertainment. I visit other taxidermist web pages, I still love it when my Breakthrough and Taxidermy Today mags get here. I love reading new taxi supply catalogs. for vacation I like to go to taxi conventions. Go anywhere that has mounts first thing I do is look at the work. I guess i'm eat up with it. sure there are some tiring and stressful days but not very many. I sometimes awaken early and can't wait to get the day started and I head out to the shop 5 am.
    I love to stand back at a new mount and can't believe I done that, I know it's an ego thing but I love when a customer gets a big smile and can't stop saying thank you. (I also love when the customer empties his wallet for me!!).

Taxidermy has gotten me a nice home on the lake, new harley, I have hunted all over the world. Thank you taxidermy!

By the end of July things will settle down and I will have 2 to 3 months of very easy days. Then the next season starts. Can't wait!!

17. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

"hard work, works"
    I think most people on this net. would bitch if they found a dollar on the side walk because they had to bend over to pick it up.

18. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    That's funny you say that because I did find a dollar on the ground yesterday and my back was hurting so bad I almost left it there, but then I remembered what a tight azz I am and I picked it up anyway.

19. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Strippers. Only thing I've found that keeps me motivated. Need more dollar bills. :)

20. mob county grannie

mob county grannie Where wildlife is an artform.

We stream Netflix or Pandora radio. Standup comedy and old rock n roll keep the "joint a jumpin'"