1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

caulking in feathers help

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by wigeon whacker, Jun 13, 2013.

1. My caulking gun busted when I was working on a bird. it got on and into the feathers pretty bad. its a eurasion widgeon so its not replacable. Im searching the forums now or what to do but If any one knows and can get back to me asap with what to do that would be great. thanks!

2. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Let it set up semi-firm, and try to 'roll' it off. Cross your fingers first! Don't fool with it while it is wet!!!

3. sounds good ill try it out. thanks!

4. wings II

wings II New Member

It will take a great amount of discipline but DO NOT touch it!! Everything inside of us tells us to "get it off right away", but don't do it.

Take a small cup of borax and pour it over the caulk to coat it and as Ron said, let it set up....for at least 1 hour.
    Then carefully stick a pin in it to see if it has firmed up. If so, carefully take a small tweezers and begin removing it. If you get down to where the caulk is wet again, pour more borax on it and repeat the procedure. If you can get 95% of it off, let the "film" stay on and it can be removed by picking it with a pin and the with a damp towel the next day.

Good Luck. :) - Matt

5. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

it is like Matt said, dont touch like I did in the past, before it is hardened, normally you can remove it nearly all,
    Rainer

6. If and when it dries, a Q Tip with Lacquer thinner removes nicely also!

7. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

caulking is for windows....not birds.......a little cotton batting here and there and a properlly cleaned skin and you dont need caulk....good luck

8. full fan

full fan New Member

looks like than could lead to open can of worms :eek:

9. Thanks guys it came out almost all the way. I will try the paint thinners now. thanks again!

10. cjm1233

cjm1233 New Member

If you're shooting the caulk in the wings , try patch and paint spackling. Works wonders and is 100% better all the way around than caulk.

11. eperry

eperry New Member

Guess I am a little to late but I have done the same thing a couple times. but best way I found to fix it is to not touch it and stick the bird in the freezer for few hours. Then pull the bird out and the caulk should pill right off. Then let bird thaw and continue mounting..