1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

World record bass photo???

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by dougp, Jun 14, 2013.

1. dougp

dougp Active Member

Could this be real?

Attached Files:

2. dougp

dougp Active Member

http://www.fieldandstream.com/?cmpid=enews061413&spPodID=020&spMailingID=5521186&spUserID=Mjc2MTM0NzM1OTYS1&spJobID=322503018&spReportId=MzIyNTAzMDE4S0

3. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Good Link Doug. I have to agree with the comments. I think it's a fake. There is water dripping off the fish like he just picked it up. Like someone else commented, if that fish is alive and squirms, it's gone.

4. The jet

The jet New Member

That does not look like South Georgia.

5. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Sure it does, south Georgia is flat. ;)

6. Doug,
    I think this guy pictured below has the record...but I could be wrong ???

Attached Files:

7. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

All the top one needs is a red flag. Looks like a mailbox.

8. double barrel

double barrel New Member

Bill B. interviewed Perry and wrote the book, but I thought he retired from the chronicle before the computer age. I believe the second pic. is real though. I think Rob Pavey discovered it as he took B.B.'s place as outdoor writer. See more at Mrlurebox.com.

9. The jet

The jet New Member

I leave near the spot where the fish was caught,and that ain't the spot.

10. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I must be missing something here. Guys never stage things for a picture, like dressing in camo days after killing a deer, or pose with the mount as though it were the kill...or allow a frozen and thawed fish to lift out of the water to drip at a site other than the actual one where it was caught?

Also, I thought that asian guy caught that fish a couple years ago that tied the record?

So are you guys saying Perry didnt catch a record bass, or that this simply isnt it, or that a staged pic makes the record not a record?

11. double barrel

double barrel New Member

He caught the record. I think there is another famous pic of him holding another bass, smaller. Somebody done went and photohacked this one. It could be real. I've been by that spot and stopped and read the marker by the highway. Sure that could be so. GA. in the background. Soybeans, corn, cotton, tobacco, weeds???? It's unclear what the crop is in the background. He wouldn't hold that fish over the lake, but it's probably a mudpuddle or backwater NEAR the lake. Also, look at the eye, the feesh is clearly been dead awhile. I say he caught it, took it to the post office or wherever he weighted it, found someone with a camera, and said "hey! Let's stand over here by the water and take the pic. " That moving water is him peeing in his pants thinking, " I'm gonna get a new reel, shotgun, some "Fintail Shinners" from Creek Chub, and I'm gonna have fried fish fillets tonite, and tomorrow nite and all next week and for lunch for the next couple of mos. Yummy!

Or...It could be a pic. of Hank Williams sitting on a bale of hay singing, "I'm so lonesome I could cry!!!!" Some photoshopper took out the guitar and put in a fish.

One things for shur, he didn't take a camera fishin with him that day and after going into town to get it weighted and certified and photographed, he wasn't going to let it spoil. There wasn't no catch and release in 1932, if it would fit in the frying pan it went home with you.

Just kiddin as usual, I luv this story. He only had one lure between the two guys, if I remember right. A large bass hit the lure, and broke his line. Then the bass came up an shook the lure loose from his lip and he recovered the plug and later caught the biggun. WOW!!! Creek Chub was discontinuing the fintail shinner as it was too hard to make and the cloth fins wouldn't hold up. They didn't want all that publicity for a lure fixin to be discontinued so they said it was caught on a wigglefish. It was thought for years that it was a WF. I found a fintail shinner at the flea mkt. for 3 dollars, all tangled up with some other plugs. I'm gonna go out and catch me a new world record with it , I hope.

12. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

It doesn't look like a world record bass to me. Look at how he is gripping that fish, I think it's photoshopped.

13. double barrel

double barrel New Member

I agree M.T. Go to Doug's link and that second pic. is the real deal, in my opinion.

14. Dont think a bass would hold his mouth that far open without a thumb in it........

15. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Emailed? Awfully suspicious that an original isn't available and the person that emailed the photo closed out his email account immediately afterwards. Whomever doctored this photo did a very good job. But, what makes me suspicious (other than the first two facts I mentioned) is how crystal clear the bass is and has great contrast. Versus the rest of the photo is much more "muddied" and doesn't have the sharp contrast the fish has. Old photos like this SHOULD be seeing fade marks throughout and should be looking more like a Sepia photo by now. I doubt the paper was archival. Yet, the bass again looks crystal clear and has great whites and darks. I would bet the farm this is Photoshopped. BUT, the second photo on the F&S website looks real to me...

P.S. Look at how in focus the fish head is, then goes out of focus towards the tail. Yet, mysteriously Perry's face is more in focus than the tail yet it's farther back. Total fake...