1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dry Preserve or Tanning

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by lumberyard, May 25, 2007.

1. lumberyard

lumberyard New Member

This has probably been discussed before but I am new to this forum, so what do ya'll prefer. Dry preserving or tanning.

2. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Are you just wanting to start another fight? LOL Those are fighting words with many here.

I used to use dry preserve for many years with great results, but started becoming allergic to it. Tried tanning, and found I much prefer the "feel" of a tanned cape/hide over a raw one plus I don't get the allergic reactions and dry skin.
    If done PROPERLY, both work. It's the taxidermist's ability not the method that creates a good, lasting mount.

3. muleyhunter

muleyhunter Soulmates, Gods way of saying together forever

Boy Becky you sure nailed that one on the head. :D :D :D

4. Bluehealer

Bluehealer Daddys little girl, first deer..

Search the old forum, there is more info on this subject than you would probably ever want to read! I am pretty new at Taxidermy but I have and do use both methods, Becky said it best though if done properly they both work...

Charles

5. lumberyard

lumberyard New Member

I know they both work I have used both methods. I just wanted some comments on both and to see if anyone prefers one or the other. Yes I know that the taxidermist is the one who determines if the work will be good work or not not the procedure.

6. Josh

Josh New Member

And Becky is correct, there have been many ARGUEMENTS about this topic. I recommend as many people use dry preserve as possible because the more people that use it means the better my tanned mounts look.

7. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

Lumberyard, I will comment on both, I prefer to tan my skins. That way I am working with a chemically stable skin that "normal" humidity and temperature will not effect adversely. A dry preserved skin relies on glue and shrinkage to keep it in place. I like a tanned skin when I am grooming immediately after mounting the animal. A dry preserved skin is better if you wait a while so the hair can lock. The only dry preserve I use any more is on birds due to the fact the thin skin will dry quickly and dry preserve and water for my fish. These are just my preferences and what I am used to.

Todd B

8. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

That's the dumbest comment i've heard on here in a while, there are both good & bad tanned & dry preserved mounts. If you got droopy ears & bulging eyes on a tanned skin mount then you still got a piece of sh!t mount Brooklyn BOY

9. lumberyard

lumberyard New Member

Todd I agree with you I like tanning better then dry preserving. I think that tanned hides are easier to work with and I just never cared for dry preserving, I don't think dry preserving works well or looks very good as the mount gets older.

10. Josh

Josh New Member

master p., I'm sorry, we can sit here all day long like we have done before and go back and forth about this but, you cannot get the definition and detail with dry preserve and most of you put 10,000 pins in everything trying to hold it in place and depending on the climate in the area, it's probably going to start cracking and splitting within a few years. And it sounds like you know a lot about droopy ears and bulging eyes.

11. lumberyard

lumberyard New Member

Kid give Michael P a break. We all can't be as good or as gifted as you.

12. Josh

Josh New Member

I'm sorry Lumber, I wasn't thinking.

13. Becky P

Dry preserved or tanned?

14. lumberyard

lumberyard New Member

What do you think kid is it dry preserved or tanned? I bet I can guess.

15. Josh

Josh New Member

See Lumberyard, what did I tell you about the stroking of the egos on here???

Becky, since you posted your lovely picture on this thread, it must be dry preserved, good for you, nice ribbon too. Like I said before dry preserve may be useful for some people, not me. I can't tell you how many remounts I get every year that are tearing up because they were dry preserved and due to the climate. I don't see what the big deal is not sending it to an established tannery and avoiding those types of problems is. And the more DP's there are, the more work I get remounting them.

16. lumberyard

lumberyard New Member

Good point there Kid I never could understand why people wanted to dry preserve anyway.

17. Paul K

Paul K New Member

I've said it before , I have plenty of skins in the showroom for my customers to see, touch and smell. They seem to enjoy the fact that their trophy will have a nice smelling, garment type leather involved in the mounting process. So if you're going to use dry preserve , are you willing to sell it as the best process going in modern taxidermy ?

18. lumberyard

lumberyard New Member

I wouldn't

19. Becky P

Yes, you are right, that one's dry preserved. The reason, Lumberyard, I used dry preserve back then, is that's what I orginally learned to use when I started taxidermy. I had heard all the tanning horror stories so I wasn't so sure that was the right way to go either. Tried dp (quick and easy) and never had any problems with it (except the developing allergies). Decided later to give tanning a try. No problems there either. Tried a tannery, went up on prices - and had to increase my turn around by a couple of months waiting for the tannery - because I prefer that route. As far as my mounts are concerned, yes, they have improved since the dp days, but it was because I started competing and getting critiques and learning from my mistakes (I was self-taught up to that point).

Kid, it's funny you mention the remounts, and no doubt, I'm sure you get plenty as I hear that quite often from others. The only remount I ever did was a tanned deer. Commercially tanned at that, unless the previous taxi. was THAT good at shaving and I really doubt that since he/she put a tanned cape put on an unprepped form without a speck of hide paste.

As I said before, I prefer to use a tanned cape, but I will not bash someone using dp. They both have to used correctly.

20. Becky P

Oh, btw, Kid, I wasn't looking to have any egos stroked. I only posted it because I think it has plenty of the detail that you said could not be achieved with dp.