1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

snake question..test fit and rebuilding muscle on a carcass cast

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by frenchydermist, Jun 16, 2013.

1. frenchydermist

frenchydermist New Member

Hi!!
    I followed Kerby's gaboon viper tutorial to carcass cast a snake(a ball python)..everything went well and now I have my foam form covered with bondo.
    I did not sanded it yet and I am planning to add more bondo to get a good base(while sanding, i dont want go get to the foam).

My question is: after sanding and giving it a first test fit, If my form is too small, should i add more bondo and sand it back or i can rebuilt some muscle with clay or apoxy sculpt??What is the best way of adding muscle to a bondo covered form? Does any of you can share some experience about that issue?

I did not took any mesurement :-[ and i am scared to sand it witch takes a lot of elbow grease to end up with a too small form. I worked very hard on that snake , wich is my first.
    Sorry form my spelling since english is not my first language.
    Merci!

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Did you......

Did you take measurements before skinning because there will be some stretch in the skin which will make it appear that you have "extra" skin when mounting. Do not make the snake bigger than what it was.

I would spread some more bondo onto your form and then sand it...add some more and then sand it. I use a hand held sander (less elbow grease) and faster.

:)

Kerby...

3. frenchydermist

frenchydermist New Member

Wow Kerby himself!
    Thanks for responding!

Unfortunately, I did not mesure anything but I assume that my casted body is the exact size on the snake and yesterday, after having fleshed the skin I did notice a stretch ( using a spoon ti flesh does`nt help either).

Will the skin retract to its original size after salting/pickling/tanning????

I will put more bondo to make sure that i have enuff "meat"

Thanks again Kerby..