1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

BOTW #22

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by wolfgang, Jun 17, 2013.

1. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

Good morning fellow bird enthusiasts!!
    My turn to host BOTW so here is a little background check.
    Self taught from day one and have been doing some sort of Taxidermy for over 20 years now. As some of you know I have modified some techniques to improve speed and quality of the mounting process. This is strictly a business for me as I get much more joy out of actually raising the waterfowl and building new aviaries etc.
    I have decided to change up BOTW a bit and show over the next 2 weeks and to include pictures of my newest aviary.
    I encourage everyone to post up pictures of there work, old or new as this is critique free environment and I enjoy seeing everyones work.
    Feel free to use the next 2 weeks as a time to grill me for answers if you choose, LOL!!
    Here are a couple from the past but some of my favorites.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. giveem3 steve

giveem3 steve Member

Mallard I just put together

Attached Files:

3. giveem3 steve

giveem3 steve Member

Black duck waiting to be painted

Attached Files:

4. jevic035

jevic035 Member

hello wolfgang

yes im a big fan of your work ... i know you been busy building glad your taking the time to host the BOTW

so let me take the time and say thank you to you and all the host for hosting the BOTW

5. Adam Edwards

Adam Edwards Member

Utah
    Awesome im excited to see your aviaries wolfgang :)

6. Beautiful birds so far. Wolfgang, I love your birds and I appreciate your willingness to share tips and advise. Here are two birds that were done with your dorsal incision (my new standard for standing birds) and they were for myself so I got to do them the way I wanted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. IU Doug

IU Doug Member

I also am a fan Wolfgang......wonderful work and the aviaries will be a neat addition. Mine hardly belong on the same page but oh well.

Attached Files:

8. One I just finished.

Attached Files:

• 6.5.jpg
      6.5.jpg
      File size:
      106.8 KB
      Views:
  9. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

A great start to the week!!
    Hey Turkey guys I know you have your own thread but lets see some of the big boys!!
    I also would like to thank the previous hosts. I was unable to contribute much during the first 5 months of the year but a job well done!!
    Here are a couple of pictures of the pond in progress. I would prefer flagstone but all we have around here is field stone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. babak

babak Active Member

wow,i hadn't seen this botw ,wow!!!amazing start !! beautiful mounts!! Wolfgang,thank you for great hosting!

11. 2wbdft

2wbdft Member

Thanks for keeping this "tradition" going Wolfgang, i also am a great fan/admirer of you work... esp your Albino Mandys. :eek: HOW do you get them so full looking???

*** Great start folks. I LOVE the Wigeon pair! Great attitude/expressions in both subjects! (would be a great example for one of those "caption this" threads)

@ IU Doug, DONT sell yourself short bud. That piece looks wonderful. 8) Ive been at it for far longer than i would admit, but still have issues with my symmetry still.

Puter issues right now but Ill post up my contribution later tonight. :-[

12. robolson

robolson www.frozeninflight.com

Here's a first for me... a Silver Pheasant.

Attached Files:

13. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

very clean beautiful work wolfgang

14. Boxie

Boxie New Member

wolfgang, I think I'd have to put those birds under glass!! Too pretty for a speck of dust!!

15. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

Wolfgang, thanks for hosting the next two weeks, hope to have something finished before the weekend to post here,
    you know I love your mounts and the bases you do
    Steve, nice mallard and black duck, like the incoming pose
    ntxwaterfowl, your wigeons look great, love the action in both of them
    IU Doug, lot of motion in your bluebills, very nice
    doublegun, this deadmount is fantastic, I did a printout of your mount and will try to copy for myself, great
    robolsen, thsi silver pheasant is the best, I have ever seen, have had them wing cupped in my garden many years ago, looks super, how did you do the wattles ?

Rainer

16. robolson

robolson www.frozeninflight.com

Thanks, Rainer. The wattles are real, and I freeze dried them. I've never been happy with cast pheasant wattles.
    I normally don't go crazy over dead mounts, but that big duck mount looks great, and I love the bluebills.. The back pedaling mallard and black are very clean. Wolfgang, thank you for hosting. I absolutely love your work. Self taught?? Wow!

17. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

Will anybody in US be able to get me some folded empty shell-boxes like that in the deadmount of doublegun in a letter to Germany ???

Thanks, Rainer.

18. Hey Brian!!! Glad to know you have not been abducted by Sasquatch up in the North Woods and are here hosting BOTW :) I've always admired your mounts and the artistry that comes with them.

Here is a simple Thunder Chicken mount for ya :)

[​IMG]

19. I have something to contribute! This wigeon (fairly rare for this area) is a testament to the magic of needle and thread. Someday I'll flesh a puddle duck without tearing it all to heck, but until then will keep on sewing...

[​IMG]

20. JBird

JBird Member

Well all I can do is appologize for not participating more - as always I seem to be a day or five behind schedule and work just seems to keep building up in front of me faster than I can keep up with it - anyway - I still make it a priority to "peek" at this thread daily even if I cannot type a response - LOVE IT

Wolfgang - you're a brilliant artist - your touch for eligance is not only unique but beautiful. Its a real accomplishment when you can put your personal "fingerprint" on a piece that says "that is definately a wolfgang mount" and your aviaries - DANG when can I visit ? your standards for excellence is obviously not limited to just your taxidermy -

Givem3 - love both your mallards - but REALLY love the super power extention of the backstroke on that hen - GREAT movement in that bird
    Doug - brilliant to show a group with back and belly's showing - scaups have a beautiful "black/white" contrast on the belly that doesn't often get shown off
    Doublegun - aaaaah a dead mount of the native "big 3" (in my opinion) great grouping (makes me hungry - best eatin ducks) very classy - I've said it before - historically not a fan of the dead mounts - but in the last year or so they have been brought to a new level that has won me over - gorgeous
    ROB - my friend - I have been meaning to write you and tell you that you have some GENIUS in your small birds (all your birds are great) but in particular your small birds just BLOW ME AWAY - but that silver is really outstanding (cast wattle I assume?) stunning
    roughlegged - your mount reminds me of the first wigeon I ever shot as a child - I had only seen mallards up till that point - it might as well have been a bird of paradise from my perspective - as such they have long been one of my favorites - you did that bird real justice and you should be very proud of it -

so I do finally have something to share with ya'll - two birds from frozen specimens (boreal owl and african jacana) and two from old study skins that were rehydrated and remounted (hornbill and hoatzin) a REAL treat to be able to work with such spectacular and rare specimens - "re-mounts" sort of limit your options on new positions - but I was happy - I will show a "before" and after - the hoatzin was a study skin for over 30 years before I remounted it - surprisingly it rehydrated beautifully -

South American Hoatzin
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]
    Great Indian Pied Hornbill (huge and spectacular bird)
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]
    love their little fluffy white "leggings" so had to show this side
    [​IMG]
    African Jacana:
    [​IMG]
    Borreal Owl (for the teton raptor center)
    [​IMG]