1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

chicken cones

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by dan1dan, May 25, 2007.

1. dan1dan

dan1dan New Member

i have just took in a nice old English game fowl and want to set it up in fighting stance using the real head. what is the best way to take of its cone so its dubbed

2. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

I would cut them off at the scalp, then make a quick alginate mold and cast in thinned bondo.

it works.

Jon~

3. rocky don

rocky don the best collie that walks the earth!!

i've always heard that you can take a syrenge and shoot them up with elmers glue!!

4. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

Or you could try these. We have them for chickens, Roosters, Banties Rose Combs and others

http://www.finazducks.com/pictures/299a.jpg

Also: www.finazducks.com

5. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I must be the only poultry fanatic who knows what it means when you say that you want it to be dubbed. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing, though - ;D

I guess you could just clip it off with scissors. The thing is, it wont be able to heal, so you will need to fill in the missing area with epoxy and paint it a natural skin color. You will need to loosely sew the gap together so it stays in place until it's dry, but don't over-tighten it. The same goes for the wattles underneath the jaw.

Even though that will be sort of a pain, it will still probably be a lot easier than messing with casting the comb.

Chicken cones are used in butchering them, they aren't a body part.

* a wee bit picky about bird terminology*

6. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

I'm confused.. explain.

7. BeckyBird

BeckyBird My Baby Bluebirds

This is funny--I just read an article about dubbing OEG's! Here is a link, and even though they just talk about how to do it, I'm sure it might be some help...
    http://www.slipspurbantams.com/Dubbing.htm

8. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Fighting chickens have their combs and wattles removed so they don't get mangled in battle.
    Old English Game roosters aren't usually used for fighting, but they are still trimmed ("dubbed") in almost the same way.

9. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

Nancy where I am from the old english is what everyone still fights , Use to do it myself when I was younger . Yes the comb and the wattles are trimmed off for fighting , I think the old english looks better trimmed . you could trim it it short and use some apoxie to feel in and then airbrush .