1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer shoulder mount has taken 4.5 years

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Mamavtosh, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Mamavtosh

Mamavtosh New Member

I have joined this forum in order to get a wide variety of opinions from those of you who know the subject best. I am FINALLY receiving my mule deer shoulder mount this week after delivering it to a taxidermist early in the season in 2009. After making MULTIPLE attempts to reach him over the years, he is just now "able" to deliver my finished mount. Through email correspondence, I have set a date to meet up with him later this week to pay and receive the mount. However, he I asking $400 for it. The price WOULD have been fine if it was done within the 8-10 month average time frame (from what I have gathered via Internet search), but it has almost been 5 years! Is it unreasonable on my part to only agree to pay $250? That would be a $50 discount for each year after 2010... How much money does it cost for supplies?

Thank you!

2. 2009 would make it 3.5 years. Still way too long in my opinion. Did you have a written contract that stated an estimated completion time?

3. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Yes, it is reasonable for you to ask that much. It will be just as reasonable if the taxidermists takes a chainsaw to it and returns only half of it.
    Pay your bill, get your deer and move on to another taxidermist.

4. Nathan

Nathan Active Member

You're not the first person to have this problem. Been there, done that. What you should do if you ever face a similar situation is take the damn thing back as soon as your self defined "reasonable turnaround time period" has passed, and take it to an ethical taxidermist who will keep his word. Taxidermists are like everyone else, they have setbacks that can cause delivery times to be delayed. However, an extended turn around time should come with a sensible, respectful explanation, and it doesn't sound like you received one.

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Did you pay a deposit or is the total price $400? A $400 mule deer is a great deal, waiting 4 years is not. Your best bet is to pay in full for he mount and be thankful that you got it back. There are clients here regularly who never get their trophy back.

6. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Steven, math ain't my forte either. Nov 2009 -Nov 2010 = 1year. 2010 -2011=2, 2011-2012=3, and 2012-June 2013= 1/2 or 3 1/2 years.

8. Mamavtosh

Mamavtosh New Member

9. Well - I doubled majored in math and biology so I figured 3 1/2 was right. ;D

Bruce

10. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I majored in agriculture at Mississippi State University....they wouldn't let us Ag majors take math, for fear that we would be able to out calculate the bankers & lawyers, LOL!

11. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

I agree with Cyclone here. If you agreed to $400 when you dropped it off, unfortunately, your best bet would be to pay it and find a new Taxidermist. You can ask him why it took so long and if you could get a discount due to the wait but,, be prepared for full price. You want your mount back is the main thing. Customers as well as Taxidermist live and learn from situations just like this. There probably isn't a taxi person on here that hasn't had the role reversed on them in one way or another at some time in their career.

12. Mamavtosh

Mamavtosh New Member

Okay... So despite the fact that it's only been 3.5 years, still CLEARLY an asinine turnaround period, should a discount be requested? I feel as if my question has not received a straight-up answer...

Rick, there was never a price agreed upon when I dropped it off. This taxi was recommended to me by a coworker as he is his brother. It was somewhat of an informal arrangement from the start...

13. Jason O

Jason O Active Member

Wi
    no discount,pay the full amount and move on. maybe 400 is the discounted price

14. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Re: Re: Deer shoulder mount has taken 4.5 years

Lol!!

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

15. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

Ok, This is not what you want to here but,, here it is.
    First, you didn't do the research yourself on Taxidermist to use. (understand the friend thing but,,,, still on you)
    Second, you didn't get the price to begin with (on you)
    I'm afraid you are stuck at his request if he isn't willing to budge on the price.
    Next mount you go to get done, check around with these good people here. Someone on here might know of a reputable Taxi in your area but, I can assure you, it will be more then $400.
    Sorry bout your experience. Don't let it effect your future with Taxidermy, there are good Taxi's everywhere.

16. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

17. Mamavtosh

Mamavtosh New Member

Thank you for your advice Rick. I will know better next time!

18. Did I miss the down payment? Maybe the taxidermist has tried to get a down payment and Mamastosh would not pay it. I have been dealing with a client that never paid a down payement. so of course that work gets put way to hell in the back.

$400, 3 1/2 years ago, that is the discounted price, my bet is you will find this beat he is up around $600. or more.

No there are not good taxidermist everywhere. There are some good one and a whole lot of less than mediocre ones everywhere. Dont think so just look at the taxidermist website listed here!!

19. sportsmen wildlife

sportsmen wildlife New Member

I have a few that have been on the back burner for years, due to no deposit paid. Of coarse that's why I do not take ANY mounts in without half down.

20. If the mount looks good just pay him the 400. If it looks like chit then demand that he take your antlers back off and give them to you. I wouldn't pay him a fricken dime if it resembles Nancy Pelosi.