1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer skull mount

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by dmac1175, Jun 18, 2013.

1. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

I'm pretty new at skull mounts so I thought I would post one up.

Attached Files:

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Looks very nice.

3. Lookin' goooood! ;D

4. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

Thanks for compliments. I had a hard time with it. The guy shot the deer and cut the head off and left it outside for two weeks. I left it in a bucket of water but since I didn't use a heater it took a long time for maseration. After it finally came clean I put it in HP vol 40 but it would not get white. I then put it in a bucket of dawn water for two weeks. It still was yellow. I was stumped. My wife has seen me use Whinks rust stain remover on white ducks and how good it works. So, unbeknownst to me she goes out to shop and puts a little Whinks on deer skull. She later calls me out to shop and where she put Whinks it was WHITE. So I put it on whole skull and it worked good. It turned out fine but I should have rinsed Whinks off sooner because it is very powerful and ate a little to much off of skull in places. I'm sure some of you experiencd skull guys can read all my mistakes lol.

5. I am new to skulls also but by the sounds of it, you completely skipped degreasing. After you cleaned it, you gave degreased it fully then whiten it, that would have allowed the peroxide to do its job. It does look good though, hopefully it stays white!

6. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

How does one degrease deer skull?

7. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl Member

Lots of posts on here re: degreasing, but I think the general consensus is Dawn dish soap and warm water (approx 115 degrees I believe) until the water is clear...takes weeks to months depending on the species.

8. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Yes, it does sound like you didn't get the grease out. You will know if you see it after a year or so and it's all yellow.

Dale Loescher likes this.
  9. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

It looks like it might be mounted a little crooked. Looks good though, definitely read up on degreasing.

10. BWebbs31

BWebbs31 Classic Skull Mounts, LLC

Do an "advanced search" in the skulls section on degreasing. Seawolf has given tons of priceless, consistent information on this issue. It works, and it's proven time and time again. Do some homework on it, and don't let your wife put any more chemicals on the skulls! :D Best of luck on your next project, dmac!!!

11. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

Yes it is a little crooked in pic but I have readjusted it. Good eye..
    Thanks to all for help.