1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dextrin for building rocks?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by HunterBrowning, Jun 19, 2013.

1. HunterBrowning

HunterBrowning New Member

For any of you that build habitats/rocks the vermiculite/plaster method... How critical is adding Dextrin? And where can you buy dextrin? I'm not having much luck finding it....

2. I'm not sure of that method but you could make rocks with foam and paper mache or paper mache and wire and then paint them.

3. Kastaway

Kastaway Taxidermist, Pioneer of Freeze Drying 1969

Dextrine is very important to the mix. I have 50# bags at $50 plus shipping if interested.

4. Dang 50 for 50 that is a heck of a deal.

5. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

The plaster is very weak without the dextrine and you can easily chip or puncture it. Dextrine gives it strength.

Found out the hard way when I ran out. Thought I would try it without. Lesson learned.

6. Yes, dextrine is what makes it hard and durable.

7. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I needed some one day and didn't want to wait for it to be shipped. I got on the Internet and found that you can make it out of corn starch. Put the starch onto a cookie sheet and put it in the oven at high heat. Watch it and stir it frequently until its brown in light brown in color. I got impatient and just used the broiler.

8. HunterBrowning

HunterBrowning New Member

How was the dextrin you cooked yourself? I read similar ways to make it... Where can it be bought?

9. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Worked fine. I bought it Walmart for 89 cents a box in the grocery section.

10. Matt

Matt Active Member

As stated, it is used in the mix for strength, and I wouldn't do any larger rock scenes without it. Joe's deal is the best on it, thanks Joe! I will be getting some more from you sometime.

11. OK what mix is the plaster to dextrin??